Author Topic: Volunteer Fire Brigade  (Read 803 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Volunteer Fire Brigade
« on: Saturday 21 November 20 20:37 GMT (UK) »
  I am just reading a press report from 1893 of a fire in a village timber yard. The Volunteer Fire Brigade were called, and "promptly arrived on the scene". As the Brigade was based 3 miles away, and someone presumably had to gallop or cycle madly to get them, then they had to gallop to the fire, I can't imagine they arrived very promptly! The timber stock was partially insured.
   I have a picture of this yard a few years later with the workmen posed each holding a tool, (except my grandfather, the young apprentice, who is holding a horse!)
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteer Fire Brigade
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 20 07:59 GMT (UK) »
There is a story told amongst firefighters of today, that fires historically burned slower. Today's fire engines can do speeds in excess of 70 mph, whereas the old-time engines were pulled by cart horses and did 40 mph max. But they still managed to get there in time to put the fire out.

Therefore - 

Fires burned slower in the old days! 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 20 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Or was it a case of more local fire engines and they therefore got there in the same time as a faster one that came from further away?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 November 20 13:14 GMT (UK) »
  Now I come to think about it, there was a pond next to the yard, which may have helped. It was the idea of a "prompt" arrival that caught my attention.
  Chas - cart horses doing 40 mph? Can this be right?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 November 20 20:20 GMT (UK) »
During the late evening and night of 5th January 1867 Croydon’s parish church was devastated by fire; the Croydon Advertiser recorded the dramatic event in these words.

"... in the excitement and hurry of getting first to the scene of the fire, everyone had forgotten to call the turncock, and 35 minutes elapsed between the call (to the volunteer fire brigade at the top of Crown Hill) and the first flow of water, the sequel being with the exception of the tower and north and south walls, the entire fabric fell a prey to the flames, and a victim to brigade mismanagement".

I believe reinforcements were called and they arrived on the last train from London!
Oldham (Cornwall), Lovering (Cornwall & Cardiff), Kestle, Post, Brider, Woodhams (Kent & Surrey), Willmott (Exeter & Southwark) Rose (Lincolnshire)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 November 20 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I did some research into our local volunteer fire brigade, as my great grandfather was a member.  They were often delayed when they couldn't catch the horses!  When they upgraded to a motor-powered vehicle, they had to go to the next village (up some very steep hills) because their firebrigade was at another fire.  When my great-grandfather's engine arrived at the fire they discovered their own engine was on fire, and they had to put that fire out first!!  True story!  I know that a new station was designed in Sheffield so that they didn't have to catch the horses; they opened doors, the horses went in and were hitched up and went out the other side. It saved lots of time.  They also had steam-powered fire engines.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 November 20 21:11 GMT (UK) »
During the late evening and night of 5th January 1867 Croydon’s parish church was devastated by fire; the Croydon Advertiser recorded the dramatic event in these words.

"... in the excitement and hurry of getting first to the scene of the fire, everyone had forgotten to call the turncock, and 35 minutes elapsed between the call (to the volunteer fire brigade at the top of Crown Hill) and the first flow of water, the sequel being with the exception of the tower and north and south walls, the entire fabric fell a prey to the flames, and a victim to brigade mismanagement".
I believe reinforcements were called and they arrived on the last train from London!

A similar situation occurred in Stocksbridge, West Riding.  The church burnt down and the fire brigade were blamed for not calling in all the men, and the fire brigade blamed the council, who had tarmacked over the hydrants and water had to be fetched from the river.  It was a catalogue of errors with everyone blaming everyone else.
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Crossley (Penistone)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 20 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to hear these accounts.  It has given me a new thing to look up.  I have the whistle that belonged to my great uncle, so want to research his brigade. - Harborne (now  part of Birmingham)

FS

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 20 10:16 GMT (UK) »
If you're interested in a bit of background reading, I published my research here... https://www.stocksbridgetimespast.co.uk/stocksbridge-fire-brigade
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Crossley (Penistone)
Scargill (Barnsley)