Author Topic: Robert Ellis Evans - Born 1881 Dolgellau - 1st Newfoundland Regiment  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Ellis Evans - Born 1881 Dolgellau - 1st Newfoundland Regiment
« on: Sunday 22 November 20 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all,

I have recently come across my ancestor's military records on a simple google search....I was struggling to find where he was in the 1911 census and happened upon them!  Anyway, I found record after record of him being in the 1st Newfoundland Regiment.  His address on all correspondence was in London....a long way from his home in Henllan, Wales....am I right in thinking that, despite it being a Canadian branch, that people in the UK could join up from the UK if they were deployed over here, (if they ever were),  OR does it hint that he may have moved to Canada at some point prior to joining up?  Any help would be appreciated! 

Kind regards

Michelle

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ellis Evans - Born 1881 Dolgellau - 1st Newfoundland Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 20 11:39 GMT (UK) »
The Canadian Great War project http://canadiangreatwarproject.com/searches/soldierDetail.asp?ID=135705 says he enlisted in St Johns Newfoundland (which at the time of the Great War was not yet part of Canada) which would suggest he had already moved there.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 20 11:44 GMT (UK) »
The Canadian Great War project http://canadiangreatwarproject.com/searches/soldierDetail.asp?ID=135705 says he enlisted in St Johns Newfoundland (which at the time of the Great War was not yet part of Canada) which would suggest he had already moved there.

MaxD

Hi Max,

Thank you so much!  So I've been hunting in the wrong places for the missing 1911 census lol.

When it comes to the military, despite so many of my family being in it, even now!, I'm hopeless lol

Thanks again!

Michelle

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 November 20 12:38 GMT (UK) »
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/newfoundland-labrador-microfilm-reels.aspx

Looks as if finding him earlier in Newfoundland may not be easy.  Someone may find him in a travel record - he (or at least his name) appears on Ancestry en route to Quebec but details not visible to me with my subscription.

MaxD

PS would you give a link to where you first found records for him?

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 November 20 12:52 GMT (UK) »

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 November 20 15:06 GMT (UK) »
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/newfoundland-labrador-microfilm-reels.aspx

Looks as if finding him earlier in Newfoundland may not be easy.  Someone may find him in a travel record - he (or at least his name) appears on Ancestry en route to Quebec but details not visible to me with my subscription.

MaxD

PS would you give a link to where you first found records for him?

Yes, its proving difficult - I am looking through immigration and emigration now!  He was in Henllan in 1901 as a drapers apprentice and then nothing lol - I stumbled across the following site - I finally found out what the E stood for in his middle name, despite one of the records in the collection saying Edward lol - his parents's names and address check out too..... https://www.therooms.ca/sites/default/files/evans_robert_ellis_0-54_or_2845.pdf

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 November 20 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Another thing that is perplexing me, (kind of), or should that be "irritating" me is that the civil records have his birth as being in 1881; his school registration shows his birth as being 10th Feb 1881 - yet on these army papers its 1884 and I've seen a photo of a grave amongst other things that also have the 10 Feb 1884 on them (Robert Ellis Evans) ?!?!?  The only way I know for sure that this is the correct Robert Ellis, albeit, his DOB wrong is by his parents/next of kin name and address which is unique to that family. (His father having built Bryn Meirion).  Would he have lied about his age because it may have been considered too old to join up? (I find this unlikely as he would have been 35 instead of 32) - or could it be he truly didn't know?!? 

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 November 20 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Don't know.  There would be no reason for fibbing about his age, I'd suggest he didn't know.  Do you have his birth cert?  FreeBMD has a registration for Festiniog reg dist in Jun 1885.

Note that in the letter of Sep 1916 when the minister was writing to David Lloyd George about contact problems with his mother, he says "went some years ago to St John Newfoundland to fill a post as a draper" so clearly he had been there some time.

Fine set of records which give his service in the Great War clearly - you knew he was married I imagine?  There are two war diaries for 1st Newfoundland
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=1+newfoundland+regiment+WO+95 which you can download free at present.  His wounding in March 1917 was on 2 March when the battalion suffered 6 wounded at Sailly Saillisel in in an enemy bombardment of Palz trench (look closely to the east of the village).  His re-joining the regiment in France after commissioning is recorded on 6 Jan 1918.

MaxD

Map https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=50.03664&lon=2.92039&layers=101465176&b=1

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 November 20 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Don't know.  There would be no reason for fibbing about his age, I'd suggest he didn't know.  Do you have his birth cert?  FreeBMD has a registration for Festiniog reg dist in Jun 1885.

Note that in the letter of Sep 1916 when the minister was writing to David Lloyd George about contact problems with his mother, he says "went some years ago to St John Newfoundland to fill a post as a draper" so clearly he had been there some time.

Fine set of records which give his service in the Great War clearly - you knew he was married I imagine?  There are two war diaries for 1st Newfoundland
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=1+newfoundland+regiment+WO+95 which you can download free at present.  His wounding in March 1917 was on 2 March when the battalion suffered 6 wounded at Sailly Saillisel in in an enemy bombardment of Palz trench (look closely to the east of the village).  His re-joining the regiment in France after commissioning is recorded on 6 Jan 1918.

MaxD

Map https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=50.03664&lon=2.92039&layers=101465176&b=1

Thank you Max,

Yes, I did see another birth in 1885 however, although he was part of the extended family, wasn't the son of John Evans and Ellen Brown - Robert disappeared from my records after the 1901 census, and no, I hadn't managed to find a marriage - I did assume, from his military records, that he was single as he stated and that his next of kin was his parents, (father).  I will take a closer look at the letters, as I have to say it was a quick skim I did earlier and I have to admit some of the writing was rather difficult to read lol. 

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction - thats two down, just another two to locate lol! 

Kindest regards,

Michelle