Author Topic: Robert Ellis Evans - Born 1881 Dolgellau - 1st Newfoundland Regiment  (Read 2069 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ellis Evans - Born 1881 Dolgellau - 1st Newfoundland Regiment
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 November 20 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Canadian Archives has 2 records under Canada Expeditionary Force for a Robert Ellis Evans -
one born 24 May 1892, (born ** North Wales, next of kin Daniel Evans, Garnedd **) and the other 14 May 1877 ( born Port Madoc, North Wales)

**Looks to begin "Elyn ..."?

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 November 20 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Canadian Archives has 2 records under Canada Expeditionary Force for a Robert Ellis Evans -
one born 24 May 1892, (born ** North Wales, next of kin Daniel Evans, Garnedd **) and the other 14 May 1877 ( born Port Madoc, North Wales)

**Looks to begin "Elyn ..."?
Thanks for taking time to have a look for me  :)

The Robert Ellis Evans in my tree was born 10 February 1881, to John Evans and Ellen Brown in Dolgellau.  I have to say, that Ellis appears to have been the middle name for three of the brothers!  I have yet to find the connection with that either!  Obviously he must have struck out some time after 1901 to Canada/America and then on to Newfoundland?!? 

Ancestry appear to be rather haphazard some times with their search results - I just kept getting two records for the bloke, until I tweaked a few of the settings lol.

Keeps me out of trouble I guess!

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 November 20 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Don't know.  There would be no reason for fibbing about his age, I'd suggest he didn't know.  Do you have his birth cert?  FreeBMD has a registration for Festiniog reg dist in Jun 1885.

Note that in the letter of Sep 1916 when the minister was writing to David Lloyd George about contact problems with his mother, he says "went some years ago to St John Newfoundland to fill a post as a draper" so clearly he had been there some time.

Fine set of records which give his service in the Great War clearly - you knew he was married I imagine?  There are two war diaries for 1st Newfoundland
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=1+newfoundland+regiment+WO+95 which you can download free at present.  His wounding in March 1917 was on 2 March when the battalion suffered 6 wounded at Sailly Saillisel in in an enemy bombardment of Palz trench (look closely to the east of the village).  His re-joining the regiment in France after commissioning is recorded on 6 Jan 1918.

MaxD

Map https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=50.03664&lon=2.92039&layers=101465176&b=1

Having looked at more of the letters, was his wife Maisie? 

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 November 20 18:08 GMT (UK) »
There's a 3rd record on Canadian Archives - an index only to a microfilm/fiche record?

Evans Robert Ellis, Royal Newfoundland Regiment and Forestry Corps

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 November 20 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Because Newfoundland did not become a Canadian province 'til 1949, it was not included in the Censuses 1851-1911.
Having a look at the "Newfoundland Grand Banks" site but not optimistic.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 November 20 18:46 GMT (UK) »

The letter from 30 Sandgate Ayr of 5 Nov 1918 does appear to be signed Maisie Evans and refers to having been married to him on November (of 1917) in Ayr.  He returned to Ayr from his officer training on 2 October 1917.  The letter from Maisie does not seem to have been followed up anywhere.

You'll perhaps have noted that the letter from the minister in 1916 says he is the brother of Madame Laura Evan Williams and that he has three brothers.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 November 20 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Because Newfoundland did not become a Canadian province 'til 1949, it was not included in the Censuses 1851-1911.
Having a look at the "Newfoundland Grand Banks" site but not optimistic.

Thank you so much!  I shall meander my way to take a look!  Fingers crossed!

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 November 20 19:32 GMT (UK) »

The letter from 30 Sandgate Ayr of 5 Nov 1918 does appear to be signed Maisie Evans and refers to having been married to him on November (of 1917) in Ayr.  He returned to Ayr from his officer training on 2 October 1917.  The letter from Maisie does not seem to have been followed up anywhere.

You'll perhaps have noted that the letter from the minister in 1916 says he is the brother of Madame Laura Evan Williams and that he has three brothers.

MaxD

Yes, he had three sisters and five brothers in total - the more famous siblings being Laura, (renown Welsh operatic singer), hence why her name may well have been dropped into the letter; Elaine Evans, aka, Snookie - who was an actress, singer and director and Bessie, the youngest sibling.  William, (One of those who had also popped off the radar), was actually born William Brown and I found him again in Cornwall with a wife and child; Stanley Ellis and Hugh George, both KIA in the Great War - and then that leaves, Richard, who I have lots of details on and John Evans - John and Bessie are the two that are now unaccounted for - cannot find anything on John after 1901 and yet to have a good look for Anne Elizabeth, (Lizzie). 

I have to say, you have a very keen eye on deciphering the handwriting - excellent information you've given me to start looking for a marriage! 

Thank you so much for all your help! 

Take care

Michelle

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 November 20 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Digging through the newspapers there's quite a few mentions of various members of the  family - but not Robert, John or Ann Elizabeth