Author Topic: Robert Ellis Evans - Born 1881 Dolgellau - 1st Newfoundland Regiment  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ellis Evans - Born 1881 Dolgellau - 1st Newfoundland Regiment
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Digging through the newspapers there's quite a few mentions of various members of the  family - but not Robert, John or Ann Elizabeth

Yes, sadly, I'm struggling with them too!  Aside from Robert's military files, John, especially, is extremely hard to find - I know that he didn't die in the great war otherwise I'm sure he'd be on the War Memorial alongside his two brothers, Stanley and Hugh George; I know that he was an apprentice carpenter at 16 and that is about it - cannot pinpoint a marriage yet or see him on any 1911 censuses - Bessie, I have only done a very quick search on but will be concentrating on her more today!

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

From Family Search, I think this is Robert in 1921 St. Johns Nfld. living with the Bailey family.
Bailey, Caroline, head, widow, age 50,
Bailey, Marguerite, age 23
Bailey, Maud, age 25
Bailey, Winifred, age 20
Bailey, Samuel, age 17
Cragg, John G. (Rev.), father, widow, age 85
Evans, Robert, boarder, widower, age 37, b. Feb. 1884, Wales, yr. of immigration 1905, shop asst., mercantile
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99FW-GD21?i=682&cc=2226517&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQV1W-5FG8

This one is a head scratcher, but the address of 20 Woodland Gardens matches with his service
file.
Canadian Passenger Form 30A, arriving Montreal 29 Aug. 1923 on the ship Manoa
Robert E. Evans, age 39, widow, b. North Wales, citizenship St. Johns NF, on a visit, had no intention
of remaining in Canada, ??? and had never lived in Canada. Going to Queens Hotel, Montreal, and
nearest relative Mrs. R. T. Williams, sister, 20 Woodland Gardens, London.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C3WP-W9RQ-3?i=127&cat=1107802

There is a marriage in Iberville, Quebec in 1923, September I think, the handwriting is terrible.
Robert Ellis Evans, son of John Evans and Ellinor Brown, his wife...formerly of Bryn Me.....North Wales, widower of the late Agnes Hynes who died in St. Johns Newfoundland and Hilda Marguerite Collingwood Bailey of St. Johns Nfld, spinster daughter of William Butler Bailey and Caroline Goodacre C....(that would be Cragg). Both signed, witnesses were J.E. Stewart and Lorne McCaw.

There is a marriage in St. Johns, Nfld 10 June 1913
Robert Evans, age 31
Agnes Hynes, age 28
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-62GS-Z2M?i=25&cc=1790939

DB

Oh wow, sorry I seem to have missed quite a few replies!  Yes, it does look to be him! 
Thank you for finding this!

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 10:20 GMT (UK) »
WOW! 

Massive thanks to everyone who has taken time out to have a look for him (and the others) - never has a family branch given me such headaches in trying to pin them down  ;D

Definitely a lot to go at here!  Amazing info!!

Thank you so very, very much!

Michelle

PS I wonder what DID happen to the mysterious Maisie????

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Maisie?? Have you been able to find a marriage in  Ayr in Nov 1917?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mabel. I knew it was Laura because the address confirmed it. I also knew Nfld. only
became part of Canada 31 Mar. 1949 as I am Canadian.

To clarify, my head scratching was.... why did he come to Montreal to marry within the month
in small town Iberville to a girl from Nfld.

Well done hanes teulu on finding the obit for Agnes. Sad isn't it, so young. :(

DB

I think the girl he married in 1923 was part of the family that he had been previously boarding with in the 1921 census x

Between Agnes and the second official marriage, he had apparently married a girl in Ayr Scotland in November 1917, (taken from a letter amongst his military papers); however there is no record on Scotlands People regarding such a marriage or indeed any marriage in the UK with the relevant details!  Bizarre!  Also, there was no mention of him being widowed, twice, before his last marriage!  There was just mention of his first wife Agnes.

Itchy brain day today methinks lol  ???

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Maisie?? Have you been able to find a marriage in  Ayr in Nov 1917?

MaxD

Yes, Maisie Evans, who had signed a letter requesting information on him (she stated she had married him in Ayr, Scotland) - I checked on Scotlands People to no avail and also did repeated checks on other sites with the relevant details and nothing popped up - Maisie is apparently the pet name for Margaret, but no Margaret married Robert Evans in Scotland either lol.   ???

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 12:15 GMT (UK) »
https://collections.mun.ca/digital/collection/telegram19/id/10430/rec/2

see "Hospital Report" - No 2845 listed

I see him!  Thanks for all your input, its truly appreciated!  :)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 26 February 21 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Testing reply button for new member
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline buck evans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 26 February 21 21:41 GMT (UK) »
hi--anyone interested in a number of facts/info about robert ellis evans of the newfoundland regiment please contact me--he was my grandfather.  i've been reading a few of the posts and certainly had no idea he was married (maybe TWICE) before!  i did know that he came over from wales and then went back before actually settling in st. john's for awhile, where he married my grandmother marguerite bailey.  incidently, her father was, i think, the police chief in st. john's or at least a police detective (technically of the "royal newfoundland constabulary"--at the time newfoundland was still a crown colony)...further, anyone into early flight will be interested to know that alcock and brown stayed at their house in st. john's prior to their ill-fated 1919 flight. also, one of his sisters in wales (nicknamed "snooky"--she'd been a chorus girl) married darrell fancourt, the d'oyly carte opera singer well-known for his MIKADO in the 20's and 30's. his real name was leveson--fancourt was a stage name. he was educated in heidelberg, so i was told, and spoke german like a native and i've been told was sent into germany during the war as a brit agent. he used to tour the states with the d'oyly carte company occasionally during the 30"s--i know fancourt visited r. e. evans in macon, georgia (see below) around 1937 and everyone had a great time...re WW1:  as i understand it my grandfather went in around 1915 and as an enlisted man received a head wound of some kind in a trench raid in 1917 and while in hospital in england decided to take the officer's course.  he eventually became a captain and was one the occupying forces in germany after the war. he married in newfoundland and then moved first to new york and then to macon, georgia, of all places, where he was head of advertising for dannenberg's department store (he'd done something similar in st. john's).  one more little detail: his hair was prematurely white--supposedly something to do with the war....laura evans williams was his sister and a well-known music hall performer in edwardian days...re his brothers: actually two may have died in the war--not at all sure about this....this is stuff i heard from my father.  the last time i saw HIS father (the "robert ellis evans" discussed here) was around 1955--i think he died in '56 or '57. re his correct birthdate which is discussed in several posts, i always thought 1884-85--but it could well have been 1881--probably mistakes are common in such matters...oh yeah--everybody called him "bobby" and he was ambidextrous....hopefully this may be interesting to someone....