Author Topic: John Rees, Margaret Rees (nee Samuel) and family in 1861!  (Read 2576 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Rees, Margaret Rees (nee Samuel) and family in 1861!
« on: Sunday 22 November 20 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Hoping someone with better skills than me can help. I am trying to find

John Rees 1812, Llanelly
Margaret Rees (nee Samuel) 1812, Llanelly
Margaret Rees 1833, Llanelly
Mary Rees 1834, Llanelly
John Rees 1837, Llanelly
Elizabeth Rees 1840, Llannon
David Rees 1842, Llannon
William Rees 1844, Llannon
Henry Rees 1846, Llannon
Edward Rees 1849, Llannon

In the 1861 census. I have had no luck. In 1841 and 1851 the family were living at Blaenhiraeth a farm of 150 acres in Llannon. They are not there in 1861, an Alexander Boyd and family are there.

I think I have found John and Margaret again in 1871 with a daughter Catherine Rees born 1854 at Tyrheol, a farm of 60 acres in Hengoed Hamlet, Llanelly. John and Margaret are of the right age and the GRO has a Catherine Rees born 1854 with mother’s maiden name Samuel, which fits.

It just seems very strange I can’t find any of them in 1861.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Cyfrifydd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: John Rees, Margaret Rees (nee Samuel) and family in 1861!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 20 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy

I too have searched for and failed to find the family in 1861.  John Rees was my great great grandfather, and his daughter Elizabeth was my great grandmother.  My suspicion is that the census records may have been lost, and the family remains resolutely untraceable.

John died on 11th June 1872.  I have this note in my records about about his demise; have you seen it:-

"The Cardigan Reporter and Advertiser for Pembrokeshire and South Wales, printed and published by Martha W Williams at her General Printers Office, Solva, printed this item in their edition of Saturday 15th June 1872:-
'Melancholy death.  Mr John Rees, farmer Ty'nyrheol, near Llanelly, left his daughter's house, the 'Farmer's Arms', on Tuesday night last for home, in a market cart. When the horse and vehicle arrived at Ty'nyrheol Mr Rees was found dead, with his head hanging between the side of the vehicle and the wheel.'"

His death certificate confirms this date and gives his age as 62.  An inquest was held on 13th June 1872 and was conducted by J Rowlands, coroner for Three Commotts.  He was buried in Adulam graveyard, together with his wife and three of his sons, David, Henry and Jonathon.  His age was given as 61 not 62 as in the coroner's report.

Cheers

Richard
Saunders, Lewis, Thomas, Rees, Nightingale, Chambers, Wharf, Beaumont, Whitaker, Shrimpton. Kyle, Paterson

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 20 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information, a very sad and tragic sad, though I don’t know if you are aware that his driving skills were not that great in general, as there is a previously reported accident involving him in 1871

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4353512/4353515/18/Tyrheol%20AND%20Rees
“SKRious ACICTI)ENT.-On Sunday last, a very serious accideDt occured to Mr John Rees, Tyrheol Farm, near Felinfoel, Llanelly. It appears he was driving his family as usual to chapel, on Sunday evening, in a car, when en a sharp turning of the road, the car was upset, and all of them were thrown out, but fortunateiy, all escaped comparatively uninjured except Mr Rees, who by the fall broke his thigh. He was at once removed to a neighbouring house and attended by a medical man, anc is now progressing as well as can be expected under the circumstances.”

Note: If you are a member of Ancestry the below will make more sense if you do a member search for roycymru and look at my tree. I you can shed any light on the below it would be of great interest.

My interest in John Rees is linked to the Samuels, namely Edward Samuel (1843-1911) who was the nephew of Margaret Samuel who married John Rees. Edward being the son of Margaret’s brother Simon Samuel (1807-1880) (who married Hannah Thomas (1813-1869)).
Edward Samuel (1843-1911) married an Elizabeth Griffiths, who was the granddaughter of Jonah Thomas (1781-1848) and Elizabeth Rees (1776-1851). If my research is correct, Jonah and Elizabeth were my 4th Great Grandparents. Their Daughter Mary Thomas (1819 - ?) and her husband Henry Griffith(s) (1819 - 1850?) being Elizabeth Griffith(s) parents.

I also have another interest in that Ancestry shows I am genetically related to one of the Tobias descendents (in Australia) of a Henry Rees (1811-1866) who married a Hannah Tomas (1811-1875). I have yet to establish who our common ancestor is but I think it s somehow linked to the above families.

I note in 1851 that Edward Samuel (1843-1911) and his parents were living in 222 Marine Street, Lanelly. Henry Rees and Hannah Rees (nee Thomas) and family were living in 224 Marine Street, Llanelly. Therefore the families must have known each other at least and I wonder if there was intermarriage between the Samuel/Rees /Thomas family.

Some have suggested that John Rees (1812-1872) was the brother of Henry Rees (1811-1866), though there doesn’t seem to be any proof of this. For now I have put this relationship into my family tree, though I don’t think it is correct.

The only other thing I know about Henry Rees is that he had an uncle called John Rees:
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3334289/3334292/9/

“Henry Rees, master mariner, was broughl up in custody under the following circum- s'ances. It appeared that the defendant w^s the nepheyv of the late Mr. John Rees, of Llanelly, the owner of a vessel, of which the defendant was, or rather had been, master. In consequence of some ditlerences relative to accounts, which were not ex- plained, Mrs. Rees, the lale owner's widow, paid off' Ihe de- fendant on the previous week, and appointed another master to tlie vessel. In the mean time, a quantity of tbe stores and pro- visions of the vessel were missed, and subsequently traced o the possession of the defendant consequent upon this, Mrs. Rees authorized the police to take tire defendant into cuslodv, on tti, charge of stealing the property, but she forbore appearing to press the charge against him, on condition that the property should be replaced on board the vessel, which was agreed.to on the part of the defendant, who was therefore discharged”

Finally if you are interested in the Samuels Howard Davies’s tree has comprehensive information on them https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/158303587/family/familyview?cfpid=392076318185&selnode=1

The Samuels were a family of Mariners with some indentured into the Merchant Navy as young as 12 yrs old.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 November 20 18:30 GMT (UK) »
There is a little bit about his death here: https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3497010/3497013/34/John%20rees%20AND%20Death

Do you know which of his daughters it was that was mentioned and who she was married to?

Plus do you have any more details from the gravestone? I am presuming Jonathon is a son who died young as I have not come across him before.

Do you have a tree on Ancestry I can see.

Please P.M. me if easier

Kind regards

Roy

Offline Cyfrifydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 20 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy

Busy at the moment, but I hope to reply in a couple of days.

Cheers

Richard
Saunders, Lewis, Thomas, Rees, Nightingale, Chambers, Wharf, Beaumont, Whitaker, Shrimpton. Kyle, Paterson

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 November 20 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy

Busy at the moment, but I hope to reply in a couple of days.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks. Look forward to it. Only other random thought is whether the family might have temporarily emigrated sometime in the intervening years and then returned

Offline Cyfrifydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy

Haven't got much to report.

My records say that Adulam MIs show that Jonathon died 17th June 1869 at the age of 18.  He's buried with Henry, mate of the Betsy of Llanelly, who died on 17th December 1866 at the age of 21, and Captain David Rees, who died on 16th May 1866, aged 25.  I been to Adulam cemetery many times but don't think I have a photograph of the gravestone.

So Jonathon would just have missed the 1851 census.  I don't have facilities to search where 10 year old Jonathon might be in 1861, although I can see that FindMyPast has two suggestions within 50 miles of Llannon.

Otherwise, it's a mystery about where the whole family was in 1861.

Sorry I can't be more help.  Rees is an especially common surname in Carmarthenshire.

Cheers

Richard

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information, much appreciated. Do you records have any more details of the MIs for their mother and father? Can you remember where you got Adulam MIs from? I seem to remember at 1 point there was a CD of them?? Or can anyone else help on this?

Also do you have more information on the married daughter mentioned  and where I might find her in the census

Kind regards

Roy

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 18:01 GMT (UK) »
This must be Jonathan’s death record

REES, JONATHAN       age 18 
GRO Reference: 1869  J Quarter in LLANELLY  Volume 11A  Page 393

And this his birth record, confirming his mother’s maiden surname as Samuel

REES, JONATHAN       (SAMUEL)
GRO Reference: 1851  J Quarter in LLANELLY  Volume 26  Page 701