Author Topic: Sarah Wallis Polesworth Atherstone  (Read 438 times)

Offline Peety

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Wallis Polesworth Atherstone
« on: Sunday 22 November 20 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Wallis, my 4 x great grandmother (1785-1873) married John Oxford (1792-1825)1st June 1817, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, Sarah a widow.
Sarah can be found in the 1841 census, Polesworth aged 55, widow, 1851 census , Polesworth aged 66, widow, born Wishaw, Warwickshire and 1861 census, Polesworth  aged 77, widow of a soldier , born Wishaw ( Staffordshire?). I found an 1871 census entry but the information seems a little conflicting: Sarah aged 87, but born Bentley, Warwickshire and given as mother in law to Isaac Taylor and his wife Elizabeth aged 60 ( so born 1811, Bentley, this 1811 date prior to her marriage to John Oxford in 1817). The Sarah listed in 1871 census can be found as dying 6th January 1873, Bentley aged 89
My questions are 1. Can anyone find Sarah’s first marriage 2. Can anyone find anything pertaining to John Oxford’s military career and 3. Do you think the 1871 Sarah is correct?
Apologies for so many questions and thanks to anyone who can help

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Wallis Polesworth Atherstone
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 20 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Re 1871 entry

Sarah Oxford is shown as 87 but the 1873 death shows her as 84

Here is the Taylor/Wallis marriage

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XFM7-C2C

Elizabeth Taylor is shown as b 1811 so any Wallis marriage would be roughly between 1805 - 1811
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Peety

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 November 20 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Morning Carole
Many thanks for your response. The Taylor/ Wallis marriage is an excellent find. Regarding the age at death for Sarah the GRO give the age of 84 for a Sarah Oxford registered Atherstone but there is also an  entry from Warwickshire burials 1813-1910, Bentley  which gives an age of 89 ( I wonder if the GRO have wrongly transcribed the age)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 November 20 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Ages are very much dependent on who reported the death & whether they had full knowledge of the deceased persons details.  Not unusual to get a variation

My great grandfather was 75 when he died in 1906.  His daughter reported his death & gave his age as 65

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 November 20 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Morning Carole
Many thanks for your response. The Taylor/ Wallis marriage is an excellent find. Regarding the age at death for Sarah the GRO give the age of 84 for a Sarah Oxford registered Atherstone but there is also an  entry from Warwickshire burials 1813-1910, Bentley  which gives an age of 89 ( I wonder if the GRO have wrongly transcribed the age)

Not quite sure why you are only considering that the GRO have mistranscribed the age.  The image for the Warwickshire Burials is a transcribed document and not an image of the parish register.  :-\

Either purchase of the death certificate, or a view of the original parish register may confirm who is correct.  :)

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 November 20 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Going back to my reply above re ages etc.  On my gt grandfathers burial record - his correct age is shown as 75.  The burial record is a separate document and not connected to the GRO entry

(eg). Son Joe Bloggs reports mums death - says she was 84

Daughter Mary Bloggs takes charge of burial arrangements but thinks mum was 87.

Either of them could be right.  Best bet is to go with the age/birth year she herself gave to the various enumerators