Author Topic: Help needed with soldier who was later private in RFC and RAF in WWI  (Read 420 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rootschat panto 2020
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with soldier who was later private in RFC and RAF in WWI
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 17:14 GMT (UK) »
In the Royal West Kent he rose to be a sergeant and was a PT instructor

why Bill was a private in the RAF while he had aben in sergeant in the army?

The WW1 medal rolls show that he had been a Private in the Royal West Kents (regimental number 40) and subsequently a Private in the Labour Corps (318701).

He was a Private when he was wounded in July 1916 and taken to 14th Field Ambulance.

My hypothesis (and of course I may be wrong!) is that Bill's substantive rank was Private, and that he may have, at various times, had temporary promotions which were not made permanent, so he reverted to his substantive rank.  I wonder if the statement that Bill was a sergeant is supported by his military record, or if it is an assumption that because he was a PT instructor he therefore must have been a "drill sergeant" but may actually have been an acting corporal.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 21:42 GMT (UK) »
phillip - I hadn't thought of that. It was my grandmother who told me about Bill and she said that he was a sergeant but maybe she exagerated it or mis-remembered what she had been told.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 23:47 GMT (UK) »
There is some mystery about what happened to the army records of the RFC servicemen who transferred to the RAF in 1918. I've never been able to find any.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 06:31 GMT (UK) »

Regarding the abbreviations on the form what does (what looks like) E B S of J mean? And is RL the Labour Corps? And the next line reads (from) RL (to) I $ No - what do the initials mean here?

RL reads RD which means Recruits Depot and the Date of Effect is 17.4.18 and so relates to service in the RAF.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Bing~Kent, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 November 20 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Tony and thanks Shaun for the link, I will check out the medical card.

Can anyone recommend a good book or website that has details about the School of Pilotage and the Flying school where Bill was based.