Author Topic: Diary > Monday 23rd November  (Read 493 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 23rd November
« on: Tuesday 24 November 20 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Quite cloudy today and pretty cold. Had decided that I needed a change from my usual walk but the tide times weren't particularly suitable for a walk on my favourite beach. Instead I went to the beach on the outskirts of town where there's a wide path well away from the road and above the beach, popular with walkers and cyclists. I'd remembered to put a scarf on to protect me from breathing in the cold air, also a woolly hat. Enjoyed the walk along, there were several ships on the horizon, no cruise ships here, all cargo ships waiting to go into port. I could have walked on the beach but as the tide wasn't far out I'd have had to scramble over the groynes, couldn't be bothered.
Saw some pied wagtails, they do get about! Also a group of large birds that I couldn't identify, took a pic so I could check later, turns out they were oyster catchers. Apparently they're after any kind of shellfish. A bit like the gangs that have been caught here last week after travelling for two hours to pick undersized shellfish from our beach to sell to a restaurant in Newcastle. This isn't the first time they've been caught. Disgraceful behaviour.

Home for lunch then phoned L again, partly to ask after her brother (still well) and to ask her about some things related to art class. The postie arrived while we were talking, she delivered two parcels that contained items for the next project but the item I've been waiting for had still not arrived. It was supposedly dispatched last Monday,  the Royal Mail doesn't take that long and I've received several things that were ordered after that. Getting annoyed now.

Had done some research on rechargeable batteries (after being shamed into it!), there are so many to choose from so I wanted some guidance. Ordered a charger which comes with batteries and also some batteries of the other size that I use a lot of.

After reading the posts about Toad in the Hole I decided to have 'Toad out of the Hole' tonight. Accomplished as I am at making Yorkshire puds I don't bother just for me, I buy the frozen ones. I very rarely eat sausages, can't remember last time I did. Roasted the sausages in the oven with potatoes and carrots, then heated the Yorkshires and served it all with broccoli, broad beans and gravy. Really enjoyed it, a nice change and a hot filling meal on a cold day.

Had a message from my friend J tonight, she said she won't be able to go for a walk this week as her daughter who lives with her has tested positive. Luckily she feels okay, just lost taste and smell. J is one of the most careful people I know, I hope she hasn't caught it. Must admit it concerns me on a personal level too, she's the only person I see on a regular basis and for any length of time, although we are outside the whole time. It's a week since I saw her so I think the chances of me getting it are pretty low but can't help thinking about it.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 23rd November
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Lovely to go and walk along the beach area... nice change and lots of bird life too.
What a disgraceful thing to do picking undersized shell fish to sell on... hope they get severely dealt with..
Sorry to hear your friend J’s daughter has tested positive... a worrying time but as you say if it’s a week since you’ve seen her and outdoors sure you’ll be ok...
Annoying when things don’t turn up... it’s usually the item you want / need the most too!

There was quite a frost on the ground when I got up this morning.... which was earlier than usual as it’s shopping day! Had breakfast and a shower and set off... first having to defrost my windscreen... jug of warm water does the trick!
Greengrocers was empty... everything looked lovely and fresh too...
Lidl’s next... busier than I’d have liked... coming nearer to Christmas so people shopping more and mainly in their non food isles as of course non food shops not open!... they had some bake-wear that’s like rubber but not ...similar flexible ...  cant think what’s it’s called... anyway one of Father Christmas so I bought one to make a cake for the  boys!
finally collected my Waitrose goods along with a parcel from JL which I can also collect from Waitrose...
Once home usual unpacking, sorting, washing, isolating etc...
Daughter had phoned whilst I was out so gave her a call back...
friend called to collect her bits of shopping I’d got for her and saw another friend who was off for a walk...hoping we might get back to having our Tuesday  coffee again 🤞
Put some washing on.. lunch time...
Did my ironing...
Duvet cover that Sammy had ordered arrived so unpicked the seams gave it a press and managed to cut 17 Christmas stockings from it and couple more from the pillow case .... more to cut tomorrow!
Listened to Boris telling us things are going to get tougher before getting better..back to tiers after 2nd Dec.... but new vaccine from Oxford seems to look promising so we can all live in hope....
Dinner was rest of pork joint in gravy with mash, carrots, broccoli...
Watched tv... University Challenge... got some answers...
tired so came bed early but now I see it’s late! Well nothing to get up early for tomorrow....
Hope weather has been ok for others today and people feeling bit more hopefull!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Well done both!  :D
I just lost a great long piece about oyster catchers and all sorts. >:( 
I can't expend the energy to re create it. :'(
Have a good day all.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, be careful the warm water doesn't crack your windscreen, could prove expensive!
Can't help with the name of the bakeware, as you know it's not my forté  :) A busy day for you as usual.

Bit early for these santa smileys  ???  I saw someone cycling along by the sea yesterday, if it wasn't santa it must have been his brother.

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 00:25 GMT (UK) »
I only use Luke warm water... I’ve always done it as haven’t got time to scrape it and I don’t like the chemical options!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Ah that's good. I know a lot of people have come to grief with hot water.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham