Author Topic: William ( younger ) Innes  (Read 6508 times)

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William ( younger ) Innes
« on: Tuesday 24 November 20 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I believe William ( younger ) Innes to be the son of William ( elder ) Innes and McDonald.
Fact No:1 William ( younger ) Innes died 15 Dec.1861 at Craighead in Inveravon. His DE tells us that he was 83 thus making his date of birth to be 1778. His father was William Innes and mother unknown.
Fact No:2 William ( younger ) married Margaret Grant 16 Aug.1806 with 1 child Alexander born 10 Jan.1808.
Fact No:3 William ( younger ) married Janet Cameron  on the 27 Jun.1814 Inveravon.
In my next posting I will show you the birth extract for Alexander Innes  born 10 Jan.1808 son of William  ( younger ) Innes and Margaret Grant. I shows that William ( elder ) Innes to be a witness and that he was a soldier.

William in Montreal

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William ( younger ) Innes
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Are you asking for help here Dufftown?
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Its strange as on Alexanders 1808 Bapt transcribed on FreeREG that note has;

Wit: Alex'r Innes soldier & William McPherson, Kearn

They also have Margaret as Mary on Marriage (to be fair I havent seen the original if you have is it Margt*?)

Also a Marriage;
19 Sep 1770
Elizabeth MCDONALD
William INNES
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Just posting this until you confirm the actual image of 1808 Bapt has William and not Alex'r Innes as a witness.

1851 Census
Bridge End navie, Inveravon
Alexr Innes   77 Out Pensioner** Of Chalrey Hospille
Elisabath Innes   58 Pensioners wife
William Innes   31 Son Grocer
Janet Innes   28 Daug
Alexr Innes   26 Son
Margaret Stuart   56 Relation
Elspat Hepburn   16 Visitor
Margaret Grant   19 Servant
William Innes   1 Nephew

1861 we have;
Elizabeth Innes   70
William Innes   41
Janet Innes   39
Margaret Stuart   69 Sister*
William Innes   11 Grandson
Janet Innes   2

Trish :)

3 Nov 1818 Marriage on FreeREG, Alexr INNES/Elizabeth STEWART
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 11:37 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census
Bridge End navie, Inveravon
Alexr Innes   77 Out Pensioner** Of Chalrey Hospille
Is this "Ancestry strikes again"?

Dufftown has posted the original on one of his duplicate threads - see https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=840026.msg7061002#msg7061002

FreeCEN has Bridge End, Navie and Out Pensioner Chelsey Hospitle, with a note suggesting that this last bit is Chelsea Hospital.

Navie is now spelled Nevie. See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.33217&lon=-3.31429&layers=5&b=1
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Here is the birth of Alexander Innes 10 Jan.1808. Son of William ( younger ) Innes and Margaret Grant.
The spelling of Quern was also spelt Keirn. This is where the Innesses were before moving to Craighead Farm in Inveravon.
The witness William Innes, soldier is that of William ( elder ) Innes and McDonald

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Here is more info on William ( elder ) Innes. I have a note that says that he was a Captain in a FootGuard Regiment which to me means he travelled to may places. As for his spouse she also used the Alais of McAlister.

William in Montreal

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 15:33 GMT (UK) »
"Fact No:1 William ( younger ) Innes died 15 Dec.1861 at Craighead in Inveravon. His DE tells us that he was 83 thus making his date of birth to be 1778. His father was William Innes and mother unknown."

What occ. was given for William (elder) on the death cert. for William (younger)?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie. It says: HIS FATHER WAS WILLIAM MOTHER UNKNOWN, I am now saying that this William I am calling William ( elder ) Innes.  Regarding his wife Margaret McDonald she used an alais McAlister.

Recently we were able to confirm that one of his children was Alexander Innes who died  12 December1861 at Bridge of Navie, Glenlivet, Banff, Scotland.

My, confirmed ancestor William ( younger ) Innes married a Margaret Grant 16 Aug.1806 and they had 1 child only called Alexander who was born 10 January 1808. This extract from ScotlandPeople shows a witness called William Innes ( soldier ) who turns out to be William ( elder ) Innes, grandfather to Alexander Innes born 10 Jan.1808

William in montreal