Author Topic: William ( younger ) Innes  (Read 6616 times)

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William ( younger ) Innes
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 November 20 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish. I don't know when Janet Cameron died but she is in 1841 Cenus but not in the 1851. It has to be within those years.

Forfarian: Are you referring to the Glenlivet Status Animorium for 1814 and 1834. I have both.
               I thought that I was only 39??

William in Montreal
Is there a chance tho get back to the marriage of William ( younger Innes ) and Margaret Grant??????????

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 November 20 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Well, I corresponded extensively in the 1990s and 2000s with William Innes, who always signed himself 'William in Montreal', who was researching these same Innes families in Glenlivet, and who, until I went to the Heritage Centre in Elgin and transcribed the baptisms in the Roman Catholic parish registers from the microfilms there (this being before the RC records were added to Scotland's People), did not know that he had RC ancestors.

I also trekked up various hills to photograph various gravestones and ruins including the RC cemetery at Buiternach, Craighead and Mains of Quirn/Cairn/Kearn.

As you are asking about the identical people and places, and signing yourself 'William in Montreal' I don't think it was unreasonable to assume that you are the same person. If not, I will have to redouble my efforts to find the old correspondence!  :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 November 20 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Still can't find the letter, but I did find, in an old PAF file dated 2004, the bones of the work I did back then. See attached.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 November 20 14:00 GMT (UK) »
What occ. was given for William (elder) on the death cert. for William (younger)?
Farmer.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 November 20 14:03 GMT (UK) »
We are now looking to see if William ( younger ) Innes, father of Alexander Innes, born Jan.10, 1808 was actually the son of William ( elder ) Innes
Well, that is what the death certificate says, and the death was registered by William, son of William younger and grandson of William elder, so I don't think there is any doubt about that.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 November 20 14:32 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census
Bridge End Navie, Inveravon
Alexr Innes   77 Out Pensioner
So are we thinking that this Alexander Innes, born 1773/1774 if his age in 1851 is accurate, is a brother of William Innes who was born 1777/1779?

It would be reasonable to suppose that he enlisted around 1790 or perhaps a few years later, and served in the Napoleonic Wars, and was discharged after the end of hostilities in 1815. That would fit with him returning to Glenlivet and getting married in 1818.

There was an Alexander Innes who (according to catalogues and indexes) served with the 42nd Regiment of Foot, being promoted to Ensign in 1810 and Lieutenant in 1812. The 42nd was, of course, the Black Watch. See https://theblackwatch.co.uk/research/trace-a-soldier/

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 November 20 15:17 GMT (UK) »
1) Alexander Innes born about 1774 was a brother to William ( younger ) Innes .
2) Alexander Innes was the son of William ( elder ) Innes and mcDonald.
3) Alexander Innes born about 1774 married Elizabeth Stewart 3 Nov.1818.
4) Elizabeth Stewart, wife of Alexander Innes born about 1774 died 9 Nov.1875 Laggan, Glenlivet, Inveravon.
5) Alexander Innes born about 1774 was a Sergeant with the Gordon Highlanders and I have a Report from The Gordon Highlanders telling me that Alexander Innes, Sergeant took psrt in the Battle of Waterloo. I will send a copy.
6) Thanks for that lead about William ( elder ) Innes. I will check with the Black Watch

William in Montreal

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 November 20 15:23 GMT (UK) »
1) Alexander Innes born about 1774 was a brother to William ( younger ) Innes .
2) Alexander Innes was the son of William ( elder ) Innes and mcDonald.
Very good.
What is your evidence for the above?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 November 20 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at four sources for the Alexander Innes in the 42nd.

1 - Lieutenant 1st Bn. 42nd in America 1784
2 - Lieutenant 42nd in Nova Scotia in 1787
3 - officer 42nd (not stated which rank) in the Peninsula 1810
4 - ensign 42nd in medal rolls at Toulouse and Waterloo (1815)

Presumably 1 and 2 are the same man, if so, he would be too old to be your Alexander Innes.