Author Topic: William ( younger ) Innes  (Read 6605 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: William ( younger ) Innes
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I disagree.

Looking at the image the 1808 Bapts witness is Alexr Innes Soldier not William.
Look at the writing below, of the name William in William Mcpherson.

So appears to me the Alexander 1851 Census I posted was the witness.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Trish

The full entry reads:

Jany 10th 1808

Innes    Alexr lawful son to William Innes and Margaret Grant in Kearn was baptised 
            Witnesses Alexr Innes soldier and William McPherson Kearn
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 14:08 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Trish & Gadget.

From Reply #7...

Question may have been missed...

"What occ. was given for William (elder) on the death cert. for William (younger)?"

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Trish, Gadget and Rosinish.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 14:30 GMT (UK) »
The spelling of Quern was also spelt Keirn. This is where the Innesses were before moving to Craighead Farm in Inveravon.
William, I know that you already know that Craighead is also known as Craighead of Quirn, and that it is the next farm to Mains of Quirn/Kearn/Cairn/Keirn, and that both are in the parish of Inveravon. So they may not have moved at all, and if they did it was not very far and within the same parish.

See https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ1924
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 14:57 GMT (UK) »
The William Innes , father to Alexander Innes born Jan.10, 1808 and in my view to be William ( younger ) Innes
Alexander Innes, soldier, mentioned in the extract was actually the son of William ( elder ) Innes.
William ( elder ) is supposed to have been a CAPT. in a Foot Brigade. To be verified.

Therefore William ( elder ) Innes had a son named Alexander.which we have confirmed . We are now looking to see if William ( younger ) Innes, father of Alexander Innes, born Jan.10, 1808 was actually the son of William ( elder ) Innes
William in montreal

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 November 20 10:11 GMT (UK) »
William INNES/Janet CAMERON Bapt;
ANNE 13 Jun 1815
JOHN 18 Feb 1820 Wit: William McPherson there & James Innes in Muir of Croftbane
WILLIAM 28 Feb 1822
(only ones I could find on FreeREG, I dont have access to Scot*)

Which leads to this 1841 Census;
Craighead
William Innes   60 Farmer
Janet Innes   50
William Innes   15
Jane Innes           15
Janet Innes   14
Cathrine Innes   12
James Mcpherson 3

I cant see any ref to William being widowed on marriage to Janet.

1851/1861 William is born c 1778 Inveravon

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 November 20 10:57 GMT (UK) »
William INNES/Janet CAMERON Bapt;
ANNE 13 Jun 1815
JOHN 18 Feb 1820 Wit: William McPherson there & James Innes in Muir of Croftbane
WILLIAM 28 Feb 1822
(only ones I could find on FreeREG, I dont have access to Scot*)

The baptisms of William Innes' and Janet Cameron's daughters Margaret on 17 February 1818 and Jean on 2 March 1824 are in the index to Roman Catholic baptisms on Scotland's People.

I have been looking, so far unsuccessfully, for a long letter I wrote to William about 25 years  (yes, a quarter of a century) ago with extracts from the Roman Catholic baptism registers in Inveravon and Kirkmichael relating to the Innes family and some of their descendants. If I can find it I will scan it and post it here to save anyone duplicating the work already done.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 November 20 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian :)