Author Topic: Hannah Jones Samuel Birch John Jones and Maria Jasper  (Read 514 times)

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Jones Samuel Birch John Jones and Maria Jasper
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Maria JASPER   Born 3 May 1788   Baptism 25 May 1788   Somerset   Long Ashton : All Saints :

The above record notes mother as Martha, this Maria being the only one in England in the period. Whilst it is possible there is always the difficulty that the record did not survive.
Maybe the following may help others?

JASPER Maria s 5 Aug 1805 JONES John b St Peters Wolverhampton.

The following children all note John & Maria as parents.

Hannah Jones
Birth Date:   9 Feb 1814
Baptism Date:   14 Mar 1814
Baptism Place:   Wesleyan, Wednesbury, Staffordshire
Father:   John Jones
Mother:   Maria

John Jones this record notes of Bloxwich.
Birth Date:   03/07/1811 (3 Jul 1811)
Baptism Date:   25/08/1811 (25 Aug 1811)
Baptism Place:   Wednesbury Staffordshire England
Denomination:   Wesleyan
Father:   John Jones
Mother:   Maria Jones

Plus James, 1817, Henry 1819, Sarah 1822 died 1823 all St Peters Wolverhampton.
Then John Jones Baptism 18/03/1823 Tipton, Staffordshire

Hannah JONES to Samuel BIRCH   Marriage   24 Jul 1837   Staffordshire   Cannock : St Luke
Record notes both of Bloxwich.

Maria Jones age 63 (1786) burial 25 Mar 1849 Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
They are the records I found too but I didn't find the other children so thats fabulous!  I think that as Jasper is such an unusual surname then it looks likely that she was indeed born in Somerset..  I think maybe I need to dig around and find more out about Martha the Mother and see if she may have moved to Wolverhampton.  All of my treeto date pretty much is in the Midlands.

The record where Father John is listed as a shoemaker is on her marriage to Samuel. Hannah is a bonnetmaker, Samuel is a bit maker, John a shoemaker.  I have found a census return in Northampton for a John who is a shoemaker too  utwasu sure if this was my John and Maria.

Thank-you  all for digging around forme it is greatly appreciated.
lister, blanton, higgins, russell, brittle, flavell,  birch, jones, evans, howell, wootton, marsh, marchlensky, woodward, Lewis, Sene, Prenault, Preynold, Lockett, Priest, Hassals, Nadin, Heath, Tarbuck

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Jones Samuel Birch John Jones and Maria Jasper
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 19:11 GMT (UK) »
It helps us if you give more detail showing how you have reached those conclusions

What place of birth is given for Hannah on the census, where is she living after her marriage

Where and when was Hannah christened. 
ADDED - The Methodist baptism that you appear to have linked her to with parents John & Maria gives that Johns occupation as a Husbandman.  The marriage of Samuel & Hannah has him as a shoemaker.

Where do you have her parents on census.

I have saved a record for a John Jones and a Maria in Northampton ??? where he is a shoemaker I will have a good look now and see if any more of the jigsaw fits.  I saw he was a husbandman as well on her baptism record. That took place at Spring Head Methodist Wesleyan Church in Wednesbury. 

Thankyou for helping.

lister, blanton, higgins, russell, brittle, flavell,  birch, jones, evans, howell, wootton, marsh, marchlensky, woodward, Lewis, Sene, Prenault, Preynold, Lockett, Priest, Hassals, Nadin, Heath, Tarbuck