Author Topic: Australian Deserter  (Read 469 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Deserter
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Victoria Police Gazette 29 June 1916 page 397, left hand column.

DESERTERS FROM H.M. SERVICE
The following warrants have been withdrawn:-

And 24 or 25 names follow, including :-

COWELL, Francis Alexander,Police Gazette, 16/383.

So I looked at the Police Gaz for 1916 and page 383.    Well ... there is an Admin error in that entry on p 383.  They listed (22 June 1916) withdrawing the warrant for George Edward COWELL who had deserted from Broadmeadows Camp 7 March 1916. 

So I kept looking back into 1915.

9 December 1915 p. 864, 865, 866,  two columns per page, AIF Deserters named. 

page 865. Right hand column.

Deserters .... from AIF, Seymour...on the 24th ult. (24 November 1915) ... four on that page, surnames ADAM,  CARR, COWELL, LOWDAY,  and over the page more....

Info for others following this thread, but who may not have ready access to digitised Vic Police Gazettes from that era ...

COWELL, Francis Alexander, private, 23 7/12 years of age, 5ft 4 1/2 in high, fair complexion, light brown hair, blue eyes, scar left knee, Born Table Cape, Tasmania, enlisted Melbourne.

So the AIF had not adjusted his December 1915 age info but copied it from his July 1915 attesting sworn statement ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 November 20 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I see you are currently online. 

Hi there,

This post is split into two.  (RChat limits the number of characters in any one post). 

Reading back over this thread,  I continue to see your query as revolving around some issues that are significant for you. 

1.    What documentary evidence is available for the processes of  FA COWELL’s desertion from AIF several months after he volunteered July 1915 and then his re-attesting in March 1916… 
2.   Concern as just one page out of 66 pages mentions the warrant for his desertion in Australia –   :) ;) it is not unusual for there to be just one page on warrant processing.  See further details later in this and the next post.
3.   Two files which you note in the opening post as not online – a) his will and b) his mother’s  payment ….  :) ;) His will IS in his B2455 file, and it also has details for his mum to receive part of his pay when alive, and correspondence re her War Gratuity…

At reply # 1 Jamjar kindly provided live links to the freely available National Archives of Australia’s digitised Service Personnel B2455 series for his AIF service record and to the freely available P1868 series for the Application for War Gratuity for his mum.  Here are those links again to help with some continunity aspects of our OP’s enquiries.

B2455 First Australian Imperial Forces Personnel Dossiers, 1914-1920 –
Cowell Francis Alexander :   SERN DEPOT  and 4999
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=3434282

P1868 : Application for War Gratuities and allotment files, World War 1, single number series with 'T' [Tasmania] prefix, 1916-1920
Cowell, Francis Alexander #4999, 22nd Batt. 
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=1554043

I note that 1st Depot Battalion, Seymour became the main training camp in May 1915 – the main training had been undertaken at Broadmeadows from 19 August 1914  but conditions/facilities there were poor, and sickness in the recruits resulted … For background, see following link : https://anzac-22nd-battalion.com/training-camps-australia/

From the B2455 set,
at page # 17 is confirmation that he was assigned to the 1st Depot Batt, at Seymour from 13 July 1915.
At page #18 in among some of the various handwritings of the clerks handling the paperwork, we see the word ‘Deserter’ and the stamped ‘War Gratuity Schedule’  and ‘DEPOT’ and  also 3rd MD  (Third Military District)
At page # 21 - 1st Depot Battalion,  13 July 1915 to 10 November 1915; and then to D Company of that 1st Depot Batt …. BUT no end date….
At page # 53 is the document from the Assistant Provost Marshal to the Office in Charge at Base Records, St Kilda Road, Melbourne, dated 3 December 1915, - it’s the formal notification by Captain, Assistant Provost Marshal,  raising Warrants for desertion of those FIVE privates named there (Pte. A J ADAMS;  Pte. J H CARR; Pte. F A COWELL; Pte B F LOWDAY and Pte. J. O’LOUGHLIN.     …   Those five names are the same five chaps named in the Vic Police Gazette of 9 December 1915, pages 865 and 866 – I typed that info up at reply # 4 …

Continued next post.

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 November 20 00:52 GMT (UK) »
SECOND OF TWO POSTS

Here is the live link for John Albert ADAMS,  see page #4 of his B2455 series file re his desertion and his subsequent return to the AIF 23rd Batt– page #9 shows his true name .   https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=3019717

Here is the live link for John Henry CARR – See page #9 (of 9) – same  notification to Base Records re desertion and warrant.  Please read this service file carefully.  JH Carr was discharged.  In red pencil at top of page 1 “Dischaged prior to leaving Aust”.   
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=3207776

Here is the live link for Bertie Fay LOWDAY …  See page #4 for his return to his Unit and page #18 for that same Provost Memo to Base Records
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8211127

Here is the live link for  John O’LOUGHLIN – as an aside, page # 1 - notice his mother’s address – Malvern Police Station…  at page # 15 (of 50) in April 1916 he is in the 2nd reinforcements of the 51st Battalion.     This AIF chap’s file is an example of record keeping – there’s quite a tangle and mistakes sorted out (several chaps with same surname etc) … there’s correspondence as recently as 1961 on that file.   https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=7996626

:)  ;) From those FIVE B2455 files you will notice that NONE of those chaps were prosecuted for desertion.   

From the Victoria Police Gazette  17 February 1916, page 120, left hand column
ADAMS, Albert John, deserter from the A.I Force - The warrant has been cancelled.

From the V. P. G. 17 Feb 1916, p 120, right hand col,  John O’LOUGHLIN, ..warrant .. withdrawn 12 Feb

V.P.G.3 Feb p. 91  Bertie LOWDAY … arrested Maryborough police 1 Feb 1916 – obviously he was returned to the AIF as per his B2455 record, NO CIVIL TRIAL, the warrant was a Military one, it was the same process as for your Francis Alexander COWELL.

As the British Empire was at War, and thus its self governing colonies and dominions were also at war, then in Australia the civil police would be called on to use their resources (eg the Police Gazette systems in each state) and the liaison would be through the Admin systems with the Military Police having paramount authority over AIF personnel.   So at the Training Camp at Seymour, some five trainees have gone AWOL during November, - looking at the Victoria Police Gazette there’s pages and pages of AIF chaps across various training camps who were AWOL -  and I assure you there’s similar pages and pages for other states Police Gazettes –
Some AIF trainees were AWOL without appreciating the process or consequences.  But the consequences were not led by the civil police.  Civil police arresting a person usually leads to a charge or their prompt release.   A charged person is recorded in the Charge book, and that person then expects to be heard – a hearing, then a trial date… and so on.  But Australia was at war, and the civil police were acting on Military Police warrants, so civil police could not proceed past the Arrest, so as they could NOT charge, they handed your chap, and one of the others, back to the Military,  who then took their administrative time to finally realise they had NOT withdrawn the warrant for your chap and sorted that in late June 1916.

I trust this helps your quest.  I leave it to you to follow up on the 22 page War Gratuity file for his mum.

ADD ... EDITed for typos and grammar errors.  The conditions at Seymour camp in 1915 are mentioned in the 22nd Bath website...  I am surprised more lads did not walk out of that camp without permission.  Measles had fatal outcomes.  It mentions isolating for 14 days, etc... sounds familiar... chief medical officer authority ...

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 November 20 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I notice you have been online again,  :) so may I suggest that if you are looking for any adverse info for any of the five lads listed on that Dec 1915 list that you search through the Trove digitised newspapers for Bertie LOWDAY... both the civil and the military police took a number of mis-steps ....

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 November 20 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Just tidying up my desk and scribble notes …. I see neither you nor I have mentioned the Embarkation Rolls held by the Australian War Memorial and readily available online, nor the Trove resources and Roll of Honor with photo of Private Frank Cowell, also readily available.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1378681 scroll to
6th Infantry Brigade, 22nd Infantry Battalion, 13th Reinforcements … scroll to  page 3 of 28 …
4999, COWELL, Francis Alexander, Private, aged 23, a labourer, a Single man, and his address at Date of ENROLMENT was: Care of Bunting Hall, Brookland, Footscray, Melbourne, Victoria … 

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/74257320  Independent 10 Nov 1917.
Private Frank Cowell of Brooklyn, where he was employed by Messrs Bunting and Hall as a dairyman is one of the latest of our local soldiers to pay toll.  He enlisted close to two years ago and had seen much fighting …

LEST WE FORGET.

JM