Author Topic: Odd glitch with Ancestry tree maps  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Odd glitch with Ancestry tree maps
« on: Tuesday 24 November 20 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Just wonder if anyone else is getting an odd glitch whereby the maps showing locations of people in a match's tree won't increase beyond a certain point, and clicking on the blobs which show multiple people doesn't open the blob to show the list of names.

I thought something was up with the mouse but have tried all the hardware options and so wondering if it's just my account, or perhaps because my sub has lapsed (naughty user), or if they are doing something to the system that will be revealed in due course.

It's not terribly helpful when you're trying to work out who comes from where. I might have to go and do something useful instead.

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Odd glitch with Ancestry tree maps
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 20:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm a not a paid member and mine seems to be fine.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I've been having that problem for a few days now. I thought it might be because Firefox updated recently, but it's the same on Chrome.  I expect it will get sorted eventually.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Ah, so I'm not alone. I thought it may be something to do with size of blob in that ones with three people open but not ones with 23. However, some open on four, others not on four.

Don't suppose there's any point trying to figure out the oddities of Ancestry's workings. I'll leave it a week and then try the equally pointless option of contacting them (to be told to clear cookies, try another browser, etc., etc., etc.).

They did once tell me that some operating systems take a few weeks to catch up with Ancestry's changes so maybe that's it.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 November 20 12:47 GMT (UK) »
I've been having that problem for a few days now. I thought it might be because Firefox updated recently, but it's the same on Chrome.  I expect it will get sorted eventually.

Just wonder if the issue has resolved for you yet, and if others are finding the same. Still an issue for me so gave in and emailed them but no reply yet.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 November 20 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Checked just now. It's still happening - but not always. I haven't worked out what, if anything makes some of the locations tell me who is there, and some not. I will give it a little longer before emailing.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 November 20 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I've just tried and found that  ones that are 21 and under are OK but I have one of 37 that just refuses to open. I've not gone through them all.

I haven't looked at them for a while.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 November 20 10:40 GMT (UK) »
It does seem to be more the case with larger ones, but I've got some with just two names that won't open. I've replied to their request for more info. Will see what they say.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 November 20 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Reply from Ancestry. It feels like 'I've got an answer, what's the question?'

I have reviewed your account and could not replicate the issues you where [sic] experiencing. This leads me to believe it may be down to web browser errors. Please make sure when you are access [sic] our website you are using one of the recommended browser [sic] that support our platform:

Recommended Web Browsers

If you are using one of these web browsers; then please follow these next steps on how to clear your cache and cookies so you don't experience any site failures:

Managing Your Cache and Cookies