Author Topic: Anyone paid to unlock DNA features on MyHeritage. Is it worth it?  (Read 2723 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone paid to unlock DNA features on MyHeritage. Is it worth it?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 November 20 12:01 GMT (UK) »
If you unlock it, would your ethnicity come visible to all your matches?

Yes (I just checked)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 November 20 12:46 GMT (UK) »
If you unlock it, would your ethnicity come visible to all your matches?
It doesn't make any difference, people who are unlocked or have a subscription can see it anyway.

Offline Matti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 November 20 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Is there any difference if I buy their test (on sale now) or unlock the FTDNA data, the latter case being  a bit cheaper to me?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 November 20 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Buying the test kit will mean waiting for the kit to be posted to you, taking the swab again, paying for postage and waiting for results. Paying to just unlock is very quick.

Melba said that you need to buy a My Heritage subscription to see shared matches etc, in which case it sounds like you are better off paying the unlock fee.  :)

Offline Matti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 November 20 14:20 GMT (UK) »
This discussion on JewishGen raises a question: is it worth it?

Which company has the most accurate/reliable testing for Jewish origins?

From my experience, MyHeritage is least accurate.  They claim I have a small percentage from Central America.  Not even close.  It's possible that ancestors way, way back emigrated to Central America and descendants have had their DNA tested with MyHeritage.  But that doesn't make my roots any amount of Central American.  Ancestry has the largest database, so they are apt to be more accurate.  They peg me as 100% Eastern European Jew.  All four of my grandparents and two of my great grandparents emigrated to the US (New York) from Eastern Europe.

I am on FTDNA and have a free upload on MyHeritage. My sister is on Ancestry. I am waiting the results from 23andMe. Unlock MyHeritage..? Maybe later...

Offline RustyAldrich

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I did My Heritage, I didn't know any better ans I didn't want Ancestry.com or 23 and me. After wards, wow, and I paid for it and I like the downloadable thing you can work on and then the enhanced part, they call it 2400 profiles of people, I can do the math, there are duplicates, and 525 families, maybe maybe not-depends on how you count them. If I would of ran on to FTDNA first I would of gone there.
I guess I feel like I almost broke even at heritage, and they don't give credit if you upload documents that are the originals.
FTDNA seems to be the best one for the testing and hooking your info right into a huge living tree, have been contacted several times so far, it
its enjoyable to talk with "cousins".

Offline JohnDoe2020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 January 21 14:03 GMT (UK) »
It is for the tools. The chromosome browser and the clustering tool are great. They only work with the matches on their site, but you will have more matches. FTDNA has a similar arrangement. Upload, see new matches, a onetime fee to use the chromosome browser and tools. You will expand your family.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 January 21 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I quite agree with Matti's quote that MyHeritage is the least accurate of them all.
Exaggerated centimorgan numbers, and it seems to want us all to be Jewish.

Upload to GEDmatch instead, and you can see which chromosomes match
without paying a penny.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds