Author Topic: 18th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, January - July 1916  (Read 435 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
18th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, January - July 1916
« on: Tuesday 24 November 20 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I’m interested in where the battalion were between the 21st of January 1916 and the 1st of July 1916. I haven’t had much luck with my own searches. Their actions at the Somme are documented, but I was wondering where they had been prior to that.

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: 18th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, January - July 1916
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 16:16 GMT (UK) »
21/1/16-Le Preol
18/6/16 moved to Annequin North.
Still there on 1/7/16.
These 2 locations are only about 3mls. apart.
Although based at these 2 places the work they did on the trenches would have
been at the British front & support lines.
So they are in & around Cuinchy & the infamous brick stacks.
Go to the top left of this map & square 21 you will see the area they were working in.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464729
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Is this of any help?   :)

https://www.wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/allied/battalion.php?pid=6719

Unfortunately, it has a massive gap between 1915 and 1918 :( but thank you anyway.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 16:47 GMT (UK) »
21/1/16-Le Preol
18/6/16 moved to Annequin North.
Still there on 1/7/16.
These 2 locations are only about 3mls. apart.
Although based at these 2 places the work they did on the trenches would have
been at the British front & support lines.
So they are in & around Cuinchy & the infamous brick stacks.
Go to the top left of this map & square 21 you will see the area they were working in.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464729

Brilliant, thank you!

Also, a couple of years ago you helped me with my great-grandad’s records. His service record did not survive sadly, but I found a man two digits after his service number (both having the PW prefix), and he’d enlisted in December 1915. You said in itself that did not mean my great-grandad enlisted in December 1915 too, but if there were lots of service numbers joining around that time, that might help.

I found the service record of a man two digits before his service number, and he too had enlisted in December 1915. I found the service record of one man twenty-seven digits before, and he too joined in December 1915. I then decided to look through all the Silver War Badge rolls, as these of course give enlistment dates. I got all the men with service numbers +/- 100, which was about eight soldiers, and they all enlisted between November 1915 and January 1916, with one man who’d enlisted in March 1915. Does this seem like more of a pattern?

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 16:53 GMT (UK) »
There was a logic of sorts to it all.
These men look like they joined under the Derby scheme so quite possible GGrandad did too.
However there were odd numbers used up from this batch & given to men who joined later
so it's not chiselled in stone.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 16:58 GMT (UK) »
No, I agree it’s far from certain. Some numbers I searched for had no man, and others were later occupied until as late as July 1916. The earliest I saw in the SWB records was one from 1914, but that was the only one I found who’d enlisted that year. The majority were March to May 1915, or November 1915 to January 1916.

However, I did cross-reference one of the SWB records with a service record, and the enlistment date was the date he was assigned to the regiment at Inglis Barracks, rather than the day he volunteered.

Beyond all this, all I have is the anecdote from my great-uncle, who told me his dad had told him that he’d gone home on leave during the Battle of the Somme, and came back to lots of new men! I suspect they might’ve been some of the first conscripts. The National Army Museum says conscripts were fighting alongside volunteers ‘by October 1916’, with conscription starting on March 2nd I read somewhere else.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 17:05 GMT (UK) »
And also my great-uncle remembered the name of a soldier he kept in touch with after the war. I found his service record, and he’d been discharged in February 1916.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Also, does anyone have the movements of the 4th Battalion from April to November 1918? I have their battles down as being:
Battle of the Ancre, April 1918
Battle of the Albert, August 1918
Battle of Havrincourt, September 1918
Battle of the Canal du Nord, September and October 1918
Battle of Cambrai and the Battle of the Selle, October 1918
Battle of the Sambre, November 1918

I’m also interested in the 18th Battalion leading up to and for the Battle of Arras in 1917. I lose track of them in November 1916, when they were at Montauban.