Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 24th November  (Read 641 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 24th November
« on: Wednesday 25 November 20 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Not much to report for Tuesday.

Another early morning reminder from Royal Mail that my parcel would be arriving today. Luckily I had silenced my phone.
A sunny morning, went for my walk a bit earlier so I'd be back in time for the four hour parcel delivery slot. Was quite mild out, forecast colder tomorrow.

Having difficulty remembering what I actually did all day, was finding it hard to apply myself to anything. Did a little planning for my painting, still no sign of the item I'm waiting for. Some ironing and general tidying.

In the evening I phoned my friend in Brixham, she's fine thank goodness. Always good to talk to her and look forward to seeing her some time in the future.

That's it! Hope folks have had a good day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 24th November
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb - One day rolls in to another and it’s hard to remember what one does! Sometimes I’m not sure what day it is... with nothing going on to mark the day... shopping on a Monday once a fortnight and the Sunday papers arriving... let alone what the date is!
Hope your painting stuff comes soon for you....

I think the weather was ok today... fairly sunny... clouded over later on... then cleared again to give the most beautiful sunset... some clouds that were surrounded with pink... it looked so beautiful I just stood and looked at it until the sun went down finally...
Spent this morning cleaning the house and having a good tidy around...
After lunch OH was busy doing his final birthday jigsaw a picture of a Van Gogh painting... all deep blue sky... bright yellow building and lots of cobbles... nightmare to do!
Got a message to say stuff I’d ordered from Hobby Craft is ready to collect...
Carried on cutting out the Christmas stockings and their linings ... managed to get 43 in total... bit annoying as they want 50! Sent Sammy a message and she’s got some more fabric and ribbon for hanging loops...
Thought I’d use my overlocker to stitch them together... it’s a four thread one so it’s a strong stitch... managed to sew all of them before starting dinner...
Breaded cod with new potatoes, mixture of vegs, mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes...
Listened to the new plans for Christmas.....
watched tv... turned all the stockings through ready to press then just got to wait for the faux white fur to come for the tops then finished... nice and easy to do...
Started another blanket..
Daughter messaged with three options for being together over Christmas.... thinking about it at the moment....
Nothing really to set the world alight today... all this talk about a Christmas window of 4 days all the while death toll still to high... it’s all completely bonkers... I’ll bet we’re all put into higher tiers... tighter restrictions... then four days off the leash...
Wonder what others thoughts are?,,,,

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Another busy day for you Caroline, you put me to shame. How lovely to see a beautiful sunset, nature is wonderful isn't it?

As far as the Christmas plans are concerned, I think it runs a real risk of escalating numbers again in the new year but I also think the government is between a rock and a hard place  - if they don't approve it people will play it their own way anyway. Not a great prospect.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 01:53 GMT (UK) »
I agree ,it will spike after Christmas .
My daughter is asking me to go down to Suffolk ,but I think I will feel better staying here ,but I have not seen her and her family except for an outside visit  with F,H, and his parents.
Nor my son in Surrey.Haven’t seen him since last year.
But we do what we have to do , in the hope it is helpful .
I am at the Hospital on Dec 3 rd ,if there are any more appointments  during the time I would be at my daughter’s ,well I won’t go down.
I can’t miss appointments ,there is always some emergency !
Tesco order came today. Phew what a lot I got!,!
Another Dec 2 nd .
Nothing left nearer Christmas.
I might not need one.
Four days holiday over Christmas,as 25th  and  26 th are the weekend.
Hope people are sensible.
Not a lot achieved today ,must shape myself  tomorrow .
Dustbin day tomorrow ,how exciting.
I did put all documents re Belgian pension back in their respective folders ,proper date order etc etc.
My walk in box room is like a corner shop.,must make sure the oldest is to the front .
Flyer came for a food parcel distribution centre at the local Baptist Church.
I must spare some of my hoard .
Morrison’s are selling bags with  basic  things in ,for donating  to food banks .
Good idea.
Well to say I have not been all that busy today I am tired ,new medication.
Good night .  Viktoria..

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I'll be staying at home for Christmas. I only have one close relly anyway and he lives a long distance away. I would need to stay there at least two nights, have at least one comfort stop/ break from driving on both outward and return journeys at motorway services and probably refuel the car on the return journey too. Too many risks involved.
We'll probably be back to much tighter restrictions in January.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, when I hear those people moaning about how they have missed their families for a few weeks or months and "why can't we have more freedom at Christmas time to meet up?",I think of those many thousands of folks whose families are living abroad and who don't see them in the flesh perhaps for years on end.

I am reminded of a discussion with my cousin Pamela when I met her for the first time in 2012 in Sydney. Her parents emigrated to Australia in 1922 for her father's health. Pamela was born there and lived there all her life. She told us of her dread of going to school on a Monday morning and how all her friends were talking about what they had done over the weekend, visiting aunts and uncles and grandparents..."and I had nothing like that to relate; my family were 10,000 miles away".

I know we have Skype and Whatsapp and Facetime and so on, but it does not make it any easier at any time of the year let alone at Christmas.

At our next visit we noticed some photographs of our grandchildren (the Oz family) posted on her fridge alongside all her other family piccies. We commented that it was a  lovely gesture and she replied "Well they are my family as well, you know!"
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie - can fully understand where you’re coming from... it’s hard enough to drive and collect shopping!
We’ve visited a NT property three times in the last 9 months... once on our own, once to meet friends and finally to meet our family... all outside distancing easier and more comfortable.

Jeff - as we have a Son who lives in Australia. we are so thankful we got out there last year to see him... previous time we saw him was 4 years prior to that! thank goodness for all the modern technology to see and speak to him.
Having spent a good portion of my earlier life living abroad and in uk at boarding school there were holidays I couldn’t get out to see my parents so there were long periods of time I didn’t see them so I understand what it’s like too.
I always feel for our Son as we speak to him over Christmas along with our daughter and family and my heart sinks every time we say goodbye as it’s just him and his wife and we’re altogether... there are many families in the same situation and it never gets any easier ....
Let’s hope that we can all stay safe and healthy over this time...
I feel the government had to option but to extend an olive branch with restrictions because people would take it in their own hands anyway if they hadn’t done this... I’ve very mixed feelings....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I am more worried about my granddaughter returning home from University, my daughter tells me she can be tested before her return, I hope she does get tested

My daughter is doing Christmas this year, 8 of us, 3 households but I really don't mind if I stay at home with my husband to keep safe, we can please ourselves, we normally are home by about 7 ish to leave the youngsters to do what they want, we are lucky, we have each other, some poor souls don't.

It seems to be getting to a normal routine I suppose which might not end, I like some normality in my life, not doing normal things I tend to have to think what day of the week it is

Boris and his team can't seem to win !!

Keep safe and warm

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Just another mundane day which I won't bore you with - nothing I can say to make it remotely interesting.

Niece went for another scan on Monday and they have kept her in again.  The smallest of the 2 babies had deteriorated a little although not as bad as on Friday.   Just a waiting game now really and when the doctor makes the decision to deliver them.  First thing I do every day is to check my phone to see if there have been any developments overnight.   Jo herself is hoping she can get to 32 weeks which is 5 days away but time will tell.   

Must finish bagging up stuff to take to the recycling centre tomorrow.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk