Author Topic: Re: Help with this one please  (Read 1903 times)

Offline pigletlovesfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Help with this one please
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 28 November 20 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if I am following this correctly but perhaps Mr Ashcroft was lodging with Herodias or living with her.

Amelia died in NY where she and the children had emigrated to in 1880.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WY6-DTS
Hello, I thought I had seen Amelia in New York, but needed to check on her kids before deciding that it was her. This is not right as this Amelia was born the same year as her husband, and says her father was Edward and mother Amelia. Plus she was widowed, which ours was not, until 1930. Only just woken up so need a coffee to get my brain working! At first I thought it was a child of Edward and Amelia. Maybe a typo for her age. This is so so confusing.
Falconer, Coltman, Hayden, Samuel, Parnell, Croton, Howard, Ash, Gooch, Mason, Brister, Pain, Thompson, Mackman, Ogden, Travers, Gwyer, Page, Hooper, Rayner, Joiner, Tancock, Saward, Reynolds, Langford, Lacey, Randall, Large, Bacon, Robinson, Jones, Mallors, Venables, Elms, Clarke, Chambers, Sefton, Pickstone, Sansum, Wood, Polick, Crane, Colls, Pickstone, Harding

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 28 November 20 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Does this help?
Immigration records show:
Amelia 40 yrs wife
James 10 yrs
Mary 8 yrs
Alice 7 yrs
Walter 6 yrs
Herbert 4 yrs

Amelia is born abt 1840 in this record
Her death record shows birth abt 1837
1861 census shows abt 1839

If the couple separated, she might refer to herself as a widow - or her family did.

There is a separate entry on the same ship for Amelia 21 yrs with 5yr old Alfred.

This  Amelia marries in 1887
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2434-R4F

There are records for the others.

I can’t see an immigration record for Edward.  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 28 November 20 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Does this help?
Immigration records show:
Amelia 40 yrs wife
James 10 yrs
Mary 8 yrs
Alice 7 yrs
Walter 6 yrs
Herbert 4 yrs

Amelia is born abt 1840 in this record
Her death record shows birth abt 1837
1861 census shows abt 1839

If the couple separated, she might refer to herself as a widow - or her family did.

There is a separate entry on the same ship for Amelia 21 yrs with 5yr old Alfred.

This  Amelia marries in 1887

There are records for the others.

I can’t see an immigration record for Edward.  :-\
Thanks. I have now found all the births. In 1911 father said he had had 9 children. He could not count!
ASHCROFT, AMELIA  SIBILLA 
GRO Ref: 1857  D Quarter in SAINT GEORGE IN THE EAST  Volume 01C 

ASHCROFT, EDWARD  JOHN 
GRO Ref: 1859  J Q in SAINT GEORGE IN THE EAST 

ASHCROFT, WILLIAM  JAMES 
GRO Ref: 1861  M Quarter in GREENWICH

ASHCROFT, ESTHER  ALICE
GRO Reference: 1863  J Quarter in STEPNEY 

ASHCROFT, ALFRED  CHARLES  GRO Ref: 1867  J Quarter in MILE END OLD TOWN

Henry Ashcroft born 2 9 1869 in St Botolph, London twin to James

ASHCROFT, ALICE  ELIZABETH 
GRO Ref: 1871  D Quarter in BURTON UPON TRENT  Volume 06B

ASHCROFT, WALTER  ERNEST GRO Ref: 1873  D Quarter in BURTON UPON TRENT     

ASHCROFT, HERBERT GRO Ref: 1876  M Quarter in BURTON UPON TRENT 

ASHCROFT, WALTER  ERNEST  GRO Ref 1873  D Quarter in BURTON UPON TRENT 

ASHCROFT, LEONARD
GRO Reference: 1879  S Quarter in BURTON UPON TRENT  Volume 06B

This roughly ties up with the shipping manifest for Amelia. Who was Mary though?
What I thought was a 2nd marr for Edward was for his son,  Edward John, in 1881
I also found Amelia the wife in the workhouse in 1859 with Edward and Amelia, her children. No sign of hubby, yet they were together by 1861.  Maybe he went in search of work, as proved by the census and by the birthplaces of their children.
The 1929 death in NY is definitely the daug Amelia as this time her parents are correct, unlike the death record for her mother Amelia.
In 1925 Amelia was living in the same building as her brother Walter, so I think we can safely say that she and all her children emigrated permanently.

So timeline for Edward: born in Shadwell abt 1837
1841 with Elizabeth Philips...possibly an aunt
1851 in Tower Hamlets with his parents, father a cooper
1856 married to Amelia Gray in Bethnal Green. He was a Cooper
1859 wife discharged from workhouse with eldest two children. Edward had a possible acquittal for larceny.
1885 Edward, belonging to Bethnal Green, was discharged from Islington workhouse, having been admitted Dec 1884, if it is him as he had a different occup. However the Bethnal Green mention makes it seem likely that it is him. In 1884 he was in and out of the Workhouse.

Now found the Edward a block cutter who was in the workhouse, in 1881. He said he was born in Scotland, so not my one as I have now found this one in Scotland with his parents.

In 1901 Herodius Howard had two other lodgers living with her in Brook Street

No trace of him from 1871 until 1908 when he was the informant of the Howard death and was living with the mother of Charles Howard in Brook Street.

1911 he was an out of work cooper still living in Brook Street. Mrs Howard had by now moved to New Scarboro, Yeadon, Wharfedale to live with one of her sons. 
Until we view the 1921 census we won't know Edward's address, or I could buy his death cert.  As he is not my family I won't be bothering.

1930 died aged 96 in Burton as Edward P. Ashcroft which matches other docs., buried 22 Oct 1930 in Burton.

Now found school records for Charles. He attended 14 Oct 1889 - 6 Nov 1889 and was born 27 May 1883. He also attended a primary school shortly before this, so not well educated!

Thank you so much for all your help
Falconer, Coltman, Hayden, Samuel, Parnell, Croton, Howard, Ash, Gooch, Mason, Brister, Pain, Thompson, Mackman, Ogden, Travers, Gwyer, Page, Hooper, Rayner, Joiner, Tancock, Saward, Reynolds, Langford, Lacey, Randall, Large, Bacon, Robinson, Jones, Mallors, Venables, Elms, Clarke, Chambers, Sefton, Pickstone, Sansum, Wood, Polick, Crane, Colls, Pickstone, Harding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 12 December 20 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I have now closed this topic as I think we have gone as far as is possible, until the 1921 census is released. Thank you so much all of you for your input which was much appreciated.