Author Topic: Maria Shepherd Parmiter 1838-??  (Read 319 times)

Offline meekhcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maria Shepherd Parmiter 1838-??
« on: Wednesday 25 November 20 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have already posted a query re the above Lady in The Common Room, which yielded one reply, so I thought I would narrow down to specific boards which may be relevant.

Maria was born in Dorset in England to Thomas Parmiter and Mary Ayres in 1838. After her CofE baptism the Family converted to Catholicism and she was conditionally baptised in 1840. She attended the school at  St Monica's Priory in Spetisbury Dorset and appears on the 1851 census. After that she disappears until 1871 when she appears on the census and is recorded as a Nun of the Ursuline order visiting the Family of Richard Stapley Miles in Hackney, London. Nearby was an Ursuline Convent and School in Forest Gate in London. Emails to the Ursuline order in England have not elicited a response.

I do not have her religious name but in the UK her death would have been registered in her birth name and I have been unable to find anything remotely close to her name in the register.
It is possible she left the order and married, but again I have found anything by searching the marriage register.

I know that there are Ursuline Colleges and Schools in the USA, and a Monastery in Quebec Canada and I wondered if she may have travelled to one of them.

I do not have any knowledge of searching for Catholic records in either country and I wondered if someone could point me in the right direction please?

I have used Ancestry, FindMyPast and Familysearch. I have tried researching under her name, initials and key words such as Sister in the community, Member of religious order, member of convent, Nun. I have found that Ancestry is not very conducive to searching with phrases.

Thank you

Sally

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Shepherd Parmiter 1838-??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 18:33 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline meekhcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I forgot to add the link!
I was so busy trying to get all the info down. I have spent the last 10 days re visiting this Lady and my head is spinning!

sally

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 19:21 GMT (UK) »
No problem.

Did you check out the death of a Maria Parmiter in Portsea Hampshire in December 1891 - 2b 300  ?
Died aged 57 years - just a few years out.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the burial record Maria Parmiter was of Grafton Street .
1881 census ref RG11 1141 86 8 - so not yours I think.

Nice to "see" you Sally , a fellow researcher from Who Do ( I was ColinB ).

Christine
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meekhcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 November 20 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, and nice to 2see2 you too! The follow up to Who Do is flourishing nicely.

No Portsea is not our Maria. I have traced through all the possible contenders in the UK and established that they are not her. I have done the same to a degree in the USA and Canada.

Some Ancestry trees have her death as 1910 in Canada, and all but 1 owner are inactive at the moment. I have sent an email to that person but no reply. In fact that has been very much the story with Maria and her Sister Sarah, who was also a Nun, and sadly the worst offenders are the Catholic sites.

So I think I have exhausted every avenue with Maria for the moment, this was a last resort. I feel She must have travelled abroad.

I shall revisit her again in the future in the hope that new records have appeared.

Thanks again

Sally

Sally