Author Topic: RAF badges on uniform  (Read 665 times)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF badges on uniform
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I was writing about the link from glywri and that is an up to date picture of a uniform and I didn't want it to confuse you.

The only things on his left sleeve are the eagle at the very top of the sleeve and then his LAC badge of 2 propeller blades, which is also on his right arm as well.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

guest141721

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I posted the link as an explanation of the rank of LAC. Sorry if the picture of the modern uniform caused any confusion

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 16:48 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't take much to confuse me! The link provided by glywri showing a uniform with the 2-bladed propeller was actually helpful - and reminded me not to make assumptions when I look at such photos. I can now see what what I thought was a chevron could well be a propeller. My eye had completed what I thought was half of a chevron. So, I am clearer about that photo, now let's test me again. In this next photo I am sure (am I???!!!) that the man has two chevrons (not propellers) on this upper sleeve. Is it safe to assume that these are the good conduct stripes mentioned by medpat, and that because there are two, it indicates 8 years? If that is the case, given that this was in 1942, is it also safe to assume that he was a commissioned officer rather than a conscript?
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 16:54 GMT (UK) »
no 2 chevrons on upper arm in the region of the LAC badge is a Corporal

Ranks

2 propeller blades - a LAC

3 propeller blades - a SAC (Senior Aircraftman)

then 2 chevrons for Corporal

He would not be commissioned with 2 stripes and you could not tell if he volunteered or was a conscript.
GEDmatch M157477

guest141721

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Good conduct stripes would be inverted chevrons at the bottom of the sleeve as shown on the type of tunic shown here

https://www.militariazone.com/jackets-coats/original-1945-dated-raf-ordinary-airman-s-tunic---size-8/itm23185#.X76Loi1rIUE