Author Topic: Edmund PEARCE/PEARSE convicted and sent to Van Diemen's Land 1822 - help please  (Read 1597 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund PEARCE/PEARSE convicted and sent to Van Diemen's Land 1822 - help please
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I want to say a big thank you to all of you who have already helped with this. I had no idea you would find so much, so quickly. I only found out 24 hours ago that Edmund was transported and now I have all this info, plus all the info about his first missing marriage. You guys rock!

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund PEARCE/PEARSE convicted and sent to Van Diemen's Land 1822 - help please
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 23:28 GMT (UK) »
It's very strange. Wonder how and why she changed her name from getting on board the ship to marrying him straight after the voyage?

On the marriage register entry on Ancestry she has her father as William Hockaday, carpenter, so I would guess it would be to fit with that. How does the surname Beamish fit in?

In case you haven't seen it, Edmund's father is Thomas Pearse, brewer.

M

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage of parents:
Thomas Pearse and Ann Pressland 11 June 1787 Hitchin, Herts
Children:
Louisa and John 1789
George 1791
Henry 1793
Amelia 1794
William 1796
Sarah 1797
Lydia 1799
Edmund 1801

This is fantastic, thank you; and it all fits with the baptism record I found. Where did you find this please? (am still trying to learn, so will go off and try to find the record myself so I know how to do this in the future)

All on Family Search
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 23:37 GMT (UK) »
It's very strange. Wonder how and why she changed her name from getting on board the ship to marrying him straight after the voyage?

On the marriage register entry on Ancestry she has her father as William Hockaday, carpenter, so I would guess it would be to fit with that. How does the surname Beamish fit in?

In case you haven't seen it, Edmund's father is Thomas Pearse, brewer.

M

Thank you. The surname Beamish / Beaumish is the name reported in the Tasmanian newspaper stating that Mary Ann Beaumish was alongside Edmund Pearse when they departed the country to go back to England. Two days after they got to London, they married, so it has to be the same Mary Ann,right?! Unless he got on the ship with Mary Ann Beaumish and happened to marry another Mary Ann (Hockaday) two days after getting to London. But the witnesses at the marriage were surname Beamish as another pp has pointed out. Very strange!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 26 November 20 00:07 GMT (UK) »
The on-line tree suggests that Mary Ann had half-siblings with surname BEAMISH so I guess that's the connection to that surname.

Noting also that Mary Ann and Edmund PEARSE (and son) are listed as the next household to a Benjamin BEAMISH and his family in 1841. 

Even today the name you are known by can be your legal name although it's a much more complicated  to change now with ID needed for formal documents and bank accounts etc.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 26 November 20 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann Hockaday probable baptism
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J3J8-XH5
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 26 November 20 15:00 GMT (UK) »

Can I ask for your help with wife #3 please? I can see their marriage record of Susannah ALLARD, widow, to Edmund Pearse on 6 Dec 1842. On it her father is William SNAPE.

I have searched without success on freebmd, ancestry, familysearch and FindMyPast for:

1) her first marriage - so between Snape and Allard....can anyone find it?
2) her baptism (with father's name William Snape)
3) her death record. I have one possible - Susan Pearse 1844 Marylebone. NB. Edmund Pearse had a child with wife 4 (Jane Starr) in 1846. So she must have died before then.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 26 November 20 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Also, was Susannah the mother of Joseph PEARSE, born 1844 who was living with Edmund and 4th wife at a later census?

Edit: have found that wife 4 was the mother of Joseph

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 26 November 20 23:49 GMT (UK) »

Can I ask for your help with wife #3 please? I can see their marriage record of Susannah ALLARD, widow, to Edmund Pearse on 6 Dec 1842. On it her father is William SNAPE.

I have searched without success on freebmd, ancestry, familysearch and FindMyPast for:

1) her first marriage - so between Snape and Allard....can anyone find it?
2) her baptism (with father's name William Snape)
3) her death record. I have one possible - Susan Pearse 1844 Marylebone. NB. Edmund Pearse had a child with wife 4 (Jane Starr) in 1846. So she must have died before then.

There's a marriage between George Allard and Susan Finall Snape in 1835 that would be worth having a look into, as the handwriting for the signature is very similar to the Allard/Pearse marriage. An online tree has George Allard's death as 1840.

M

Add: There's a 1819 Somerset birth of Susanna Snape to William and Eleanor