Author Topic: Michael Joseph GANNON birth info, c.1854 - possibly Yorkshire  (Read 886 times)

Offline Catherinefd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Joseph GANNON birth info, c.1854 - possibly Yorkshire
« on: Wednesday 25 November 20 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Kia ora from New Zealand. I’m trying to locate either a birth registration or baptism record for my 2x great-grandfather Michael Joseph Gannon, born c.1854, possibly in Richmond, Yorkshire (cannot find him on GRO).

Michael Joseph’s parents were both Irish, Catholic and married and lived in England. His Mother was Julia Rogan. His father Patrick Gannon was a land surveyor, who worked with the ‘Ordnance Department of England’, so the family travelled around a lot and Patrick and Julia’s children were born in many different parts of England. The records I have so far for Patrick and Julia’s children are as follows (not all of them are listed on GRO):

1843: Catherine Mary Gannon; South Hampton

1846: Bridget Maria Gannon;  Clerkenwell, London (GRO 1846, J Quarter in St James Clerkenwell, Vol 03, p85)

1847: Julia Ann Gannon; Essex, England (GRO 1847, D Quarter in Rochford Union, Vol 12, p176)

1851: Mary Jane Gannon; Derby, Derbyshire

1851 Census, Borough of Derby: Patrick (30), Julia (30), Kate ( 8 ), Bridget (5), Anne (3)

c.1854: Michael Joseph Gannon, Richmond, Yorkshire?

1855: John M Gannon; Great Yarmouth, Norfolk (GRO 1855, S Quarter in Great Yarmouth, Vol 04B, p14)

In November 1855, the entire family sailed to Melbourne on the ship ‘Emma’: (Patrick (35), Julia (36), Kate (12), Bridget (9), Julia Ann (7), Mary Jane (4), Michael (2), John (infant). (VPRS 947/P0 unit 6, shipping manifest for the ship named ‘Emma’, November 1855, Public Record Office Victoria, Australia).

I cannot find a birth registration record for Michael Joseph Gannon, and would love to find an official record. He stated that he was born in Richmond, Yorkshire on a number of documents. He is definitely not the Michael Gannon listed in GRO ‘1854, Liverpool, Qtr J, Vol 08b, p105’, as I ordered this certificate & it has the wrong parents. Is anyone out there able to please help/point me in the right direction?

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Joseph GANNON birth info, c.1854 - possibly Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 20 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Kia ora!  Welcome to Rootschat. The only other Michael Gannon I can find apart from the one you have checked out already is one born in Derby, I note that the sister before him was born in Derby, so this could be him. It doesn't mention the Joseph part of his name, but the information for getting a copy of his birth certificate is as follows; Derby 7b 335 Sept Qtr 1854. You can find this record on FreeBMD
His father Patrick was born in Ballymore, Galway, Ireland, Mother Julia b. 1820 Rush, Dublin, Ireland. ( This comes from an online tree, so needs checking out)
Julia's parents were Christopher Rogan 1790-1823 and Catherine Hand 1799-1854. both from Dublin. (This is also from an online tree)
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 20 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Kia ora!  Welcome to Rootschat. The only other Michael Gannon I can find apart from the one you have checked out already is one born in Derby, I note that the sister before him was born in Derby, so this could be him. It doesn't mention the Joseph part of his name, but the information for getting a copy of his birth certificate is as follows; Derby 7b 335 Sept Qtr 1854. You can find this record on FreeBMD

From GRO index
GANNON, MICHAEL       Mothers maiden surname MATTHEWS 
GRO Reference: 1854  Sept Quarter in DERBY  Volume 07B  Page 335
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 20 20:05 GMT (UK) »
What did it say his father's christian name was?
Regards
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Catherinefd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 November 20 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks heaps everyone, your quick replies are much appreciated!

@paco @rosie99 I had seen the other Derby 'Michael GANNON' listed on GRO (Derby 7b 335 Sept Qtr 1854) but because it said the mother's surname was MATTHEWS' I hadn't pursued it (his mother's surname was ROGAN), but guess it might be worth a shot.

@paco His father was Patrick GANNON (1820-1895), native of Ballymoe, County Galway, Ireland according to his obituary.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 November 20 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I know you said it was Patrick, just wondered what the GRO record said.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 November 20 17:02 GMT (UK) »
These appear to be the parents of that Gannon /Matthews birth
Marriage Dec qtr 1853   
Gannon    Michael       
Matthews    Ellen       
Derby    7b   760
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 20 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paco.
The GRO doesn't say Fathers christian name, only the childs full birth name and mothers maiden name.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Catherinefd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 December 20 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, thank you all so much for replying & helping out. I ended up ordering the certificate for the Derby-born Michael Gannon (GRO Reference: 1854  Sept Quarter in DERBY  Volume 07B  Page 335), which I've just received and it definitely isn't him. The father is listed as "Michael Gannon' and the mother as 'Ellen Gannon, formerly Matthews', as many of you have already pointed out.

So he's not any of the Michael Gannons that I can see listed on GRO. If anyone has any other useful tips, I'd be very grateful. Otherwise I might look to engage a genealogist to see if they can maybe find anything in local records?