Author Topic: Diary - Wednesday 25th November  (Read 763 times)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Wednesday 25th November
« on: Wednesday 25 November 20 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Well folks this date in a months time and all the Christmas spirit will either be going completely bonkers.... fallen around our ears..or we’ll just be relaxing in our own homes....

Today was a dull dreary day, no frost and seemed mild...
After breakfast I went to collect my stuff from hobby craft... just turn up big screen at the partially open door give your name they hand your goods off you go... there wasn’t much traffic around but then it was a miserable day...
More messaging with my daughter trying to decide what to do over Christmas... all depends on so many things... we said we’d consider going down...
there and back in the day.... but just thinking at the moment!
Fur fabric arrived so got on with the stockings... managed to cut another seven out from other fabrics so now got the 50 needed...
watched the news whilst having lunch... I don’t know why I put myself through it I’m going to have to stop as it makes me feel very anxious... can cope with listening to the radio as I don’t take as much notice when it’s just a voice ...
Having suggested to my daughter she could buy OH a weather station as ours hasn’t worked for some time... hasn’t given outside temp.. he thought the outside sensor had had it despite changing batteries... he proudly comes to say it’s now working as he’d just realised that he’d never changed the batteries in the actual monitor... had to hurriedly send daughter a message to say if she’d not bought one yet don’t..... once we’re certain this one is actually working we won’t need another... fortunately she hadn’t got round to it yet... on her to do list!
It was a wet miserable day and needed the lights on pretty much all day...
I did a one dish roasted chicken thighs, pots and vegs for dinner...
Watched an interesting programme about Amazon... leant a few things I didn’t know like don’t just click on the ‘Buy Now’ box... check other options written usually in blue like buy new etc as sometimes cheaper.. or click on ‘put in basket’..   .. crafty they are for sure...
a pretty uninspiring day all in all...
Hope others have been better...
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Wednesday 25th November
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 20 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, sorry to hear your day wasn't great. Please stop watching the news, it's no good fuelling your anxiety. When the government broadcasts are on I just read it on the news app, for the same reason. All these goings on will still happen whether we watch or listen to it or not. I find it better getting the news second hand when people comment on it! Hope you get some sunshine tomorrow to lift your spirits.

My day:

Was awake till 5am, probably my own fault for not expending enough energy during the day. Considering how little sleep I had I didn't feel too bad....... apart from the fact that I woke myself up coughing. It went on for a little while but once I'd cleared it from my chest I was fine. Had thought of talking my temperature but I didn't need to,  I knew I wasn't feverish.

A wet morning, washed my hair and did that sort of stuff. Tidied the spare bedroom where I'd quarantined a few things, got rid of the packaging. Sorted some things out in the freezer.

The weather cleared after lunch and the sun came out so I went for a walk, it's getting muddier. Walking through the woods I bumped into a friend of a friend, we used to mix in the same circles a lot but I haven't seen her for a long time. She's working from home but needed a break so took the dog out, we were talking for ages, I'd forgotten she had to get back to work. Was good to catch up.

When I got home I thought I'd have another look at the place where I want to put my security light. It wasn't windy or too cold so I got on the steps but although I could reach I wasn't in the right place to put a screw in. Not entirely sure whether it would hold okay, it's quite heavy with the batteries in. Oh well.

Sorted out the paints I'll need for Friday's art class, we're doing acrylic pour. I did the mixing because there's no way I'll want to start that before the class. Put cling film over the pots which will keep the paints okay.

Fish for tea then watched TV,  was extremely disappointed with the results of Portrait Artist, the one I thought was quite stunning got nowhere. One of the ones that the judges were gushing over seemed to me to be like a very bad copy of a Banksy, I wouldn't have given it house room.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 20 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb- your comments are noted and I’ll try not to watch the news!
Certainly an early start for you 😩😩..
I’d forgotten we’d watched Portrait Artist too.. I agree with you the ‘puppet like’ OH called it... I wouldn’t have given it house room either... amazed it was the one chosen by the sitter... the final choice I thought was pretty decent though... I sometimes wonder if they just pick odd ones for effect!
Good to have a catch up with someone you’ve not seen for a while ... lifts your spirits having a chat with somebody different too...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 20 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Lovely for you to encounter an old friend for a chat Roobarb, and I hope the acrylic pour goes well on Friday.
Sacks and fur trimmed stockings now Caroline.... if you charged by the hour well.....
Torbay had a bright and sunny day yesterday, mostly. My fairy lights lasted a few hours.
Did the weekly grocery shop early, and the store was pleasantly quiet.
Had a walk after lunch.
Only one ship in the Bay, but not the same one as had been in solitary splendour on Tuesday.
Nothing else to report.
Make the best of your day all.

Yesterday I listened to a load of claptrap on the radio about Christmas gatherings. I ended up feeling very cross! Basically the advice was that vulnerable people run a risk by mingling. (Obviously.) If you aren't vulnerable, and are not likely to pass on virus to anyone vulnerable after your gathering, then have a fab time. (Obviously.)  Some people get paid huge amounts of money to drivel on saying the obvious.

This morning (Thursday) there will be official announcements detailing area levels in the tier system, but if we are all allowed to go where we please, with no travel restrictions in place, a tier system seems a total waste of breath to me. Or am I missing something?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 November 20 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Usual day - latest news from niece in hospital:

Doppler on twin 2 is intermittent but twin 1's looking good.   Staying as an inpatient but allowed to leave for up to 4 hours.   Scan Thursday and another on Monday.   Aiming for 32 weeks - if get there then may push for another week.   All depends on whether twin 2's Doppler deteriorates.

In case you're wondering, I am extremely close to my niece and nephew.   I wasn't able to have children (problems) so these 2 have always been so special to me.   Likewise their own children (my great nieces/nephews) who are like grandchildren to me and I love them all so much (and them me I'm happy to say).  I'm like an extra Nanna and known as Auntie Nett to them (as I was to their Mum and Dad). 

Cancelled visit to recycling centre and rescheduled for next week.  Finished jigsaw - thought last pieces (snow) would be a b.......er but in the end relatively easy.

Take care and stay safe (just heard we are tier 2 when lockdown ends).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 November 20 16:44 GMT (UK) »
MH - you’re not kidding... I think we could all make a fortune talking sense... but where would the fun be in that... as you say they talk mostly dribble and these bods come out of the woodwork as ‘experts’....not necessarily on the subject matter ...too old often out of the loop but still able to pontificate.... 😤😤
Ah well in my expert opinion..... 🤣🤣 the reason we’re in tiers now until 23rd Dec is to just make sure before everyone goes completely mad..... why don’t the government just say... The reason the numbers are so high is because all the numpties don’t think they need to adhere to the regulations.... if they don’t inflict heavy fines.... am I being too draconian here.....

Annette - do hope your niece manages to hang on for a bit longer... I’m sure you’re all crossing everything possible.... as are we all for you.

Caroline 
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 November 20 21:50 GMT (UK) »
NO post for a while in diary.  Got to the point I didn't see the point of anything much.  Everything seemed like a chore.  arguing with council over them not emptying bins, hounded my messages on Twitter telling me to do the right thing to make the world a better place, issues with school, legal stuff etc and it all got on top of me.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 November 20 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I don't watch or listen to the news, just get snippets,  I find I get to anxious and I worry, I have tried all the time during lockdown to be sensible and do the right thing,
Today I met a friend , parked our cars and walked around 2 large fields,  both sat in our own car with window and door open enjoying a coffee and coffee and walnut cake, I was so warm I took my coat off
One thing I haven't been able to find out is, am I allowed to take my friend shopping as a passenger,  we stopped doing it again recently,  something we have enjoyed for years

If we all do the right things and stay safe let's hope things will calm down  and return to some sort of normality in 2021

Take care
Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 November 20 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Annette, fingers crossed that all goes well for your niece and the twins.

PharmaT,  sorry to hear things have been so bad, hope the fact that you're posting here again means that you're feeling a little better now.

LM, are you in a bubble with your friend? If so I think it's fine for you to take her as a passenger. A lot of things depend on what tier you're in.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales