Author Topic: Coysh family of Highweek  (Read 766 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coysh family of Highweek
« on: Thursday 26 November 20 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am trying to find the parents and birth of George Coysh. His obituary gave his DOB as 18/9/1781. He was a soldier and was a prisoner of war in France as a teenager and then came to live in Topsham and was the school master. He also wrote a book about Spelling and he died in 1840.
I have a hunch that his father was Robert Coysh from Highweek and his mother was Dorothy/Dorothea Squires. This is just a hunch, the dates sort of match (there is a baptism for this George Coysh in Oct 1782) and George called his first son Robert and his daughter Sarah Dorothea. This of course is all circumstantial and I am flailing around looking for proof as opposed to just wanting it to be right!
Please does anyone have any local knowledge that can help me with this.
Thanks

Alison

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Coysh family of Highweek
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 20 15:50 GMT (UK) »
The Highweek baptism for George COYSH was 8 Oct 1781, not 1782 so that ties in with your obituary date. Parents' names given as Robert & Dorothy.
Dorothy was buried at Highweek in 1791. There were 2 burials for a Robert COYSH - 1794 and 1796 with no way to determine which one was Dorothy's husband. However, Robert & Dorothy also had a son Robert baptised in 1778.
I note that George & wife Sarah were buried on the same day in 1840. There's a document at the National Archives which you can download for free following the death of a George COYSH of Topsham in 1840 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9938268
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 November 20 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you so much for the reply, I don't know why I saw the baptism as 1782 but now that you have sorted that out for me it is a perfect fit. George was a bit of a rogue and his wife died a couple of days after him of 'decline' which is thought provoking!
I really appreciate your help, I will see if I can ind out more about the burials but I am now as confident as I can be without the documents that I have the right person.
Alison

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 November 20 10:28 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Burial 30 Aug 1827 St Margaret, Topsham for a ROBERT Coysh age 82 (1745)
+ a MARY Coysh 12 Mar 1826 age 75 (1751)
(FreeREG)

I may be clutching at straw but there is a 1803 Marriage in London for Robert Coysh/Mary Watts of Essex, both Widowed.
(Anc.)

So is it possible this is Georges Father??

At least the burial may be not sure about Marriage.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 November 20 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
I don't think that the marriage is right but the two burials at St Margarets are very interesting! We have a place in Topsham called Coysh Square and I have been trying to find other members of the Coysh family here so that is brilliant - thanks
Alison

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 November 20 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Your welcome Alison.
Yes I just had second thoughts about Marriage and added that as your posting came up.
I tried to look for a Will on-line for Robert c 1827 but Devon is not my area of expertise.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 November 20 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish, any help would be great. I am OK with the general stuff like Ancestry but not so much with other ways of discovering information (yet)

Alison

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 November 20 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Alison,
You may want to post your request on the Devon FHS board as well. We all 'know' Devon and are willing to help. https://members.boardhost.com/devonfhs/ There is loads of guidance here too https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 November 20 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I also forgot to give the link for FreeREG (thats if you didnt google it!)
www.freereg.org.uk