Author Topic: WW 1 Cane  (Read 225 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
WW 1 Cane
« on: Thursday 26 November 20 14:43 GMT (UK) »
During an annual spring clean, I came across this cane that belonged to my grandfather. He served in the Royal Engineers in WW1. Can any one tell me a little more about it. Thank you.
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW 1 Cane
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 20 15:27 GMT (UK) »
It’s a Swagger Stick, part of the walking out uniform issued to  other ranks before WW1.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

guest141721

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 20 15:29 GMT (UK) »
It's a swagger stick.

From Wikipedia: In the British Army before World War I, swagger sticks were carried by all other ranks when off duty, as part of their walking out uniform. The stick took the form of a short cane of polished wood, with an ornamented metal head of regimental pattern. The usual custom was for the private soldier or NCO to carry the stick tucked under his arm.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 20 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks glywri & Jebber - much appreciated.
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.