Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 26th November  (Read 911 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 26th November
« on: Thursday 26 November 20 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Woke late, had made up for lost sleep the night before. Parcel delivered this morning, my rechargeable batteries and charger, also the replacement I ordered for the item I haven't yet received for my art. Had a right carry on with that seller, they say it must have been lost in transit. Huh.

Was a sunny morning but I wanted to have a go at the new painting technique so set everything up and had a practice on a spare canvas. Eventually stopped for lunch then went for a walk, was a nice day. Would like to go down the narrow path but it's been muddy lately and as the ground slopes quite steeply at the sides of the path there I don't want to risk it.

Back home, spent the rest of the afternoon painting. Phoned my friend L, she and her brother are still well, he still has no sense of smell but I'm very relieved that both are otherwise well.

Spag bol tonight, usual evening. We're in Tier 3 as expected, I'd written this year off anyway.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 26th November
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 November 20 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb - good to hear that your friend and her brother are doing ok... a relief I’m sure..
Sounds like a bit of a debacle with your painting stuff... at least the second lot came and you’re ready for your masterpiece tomorrow!

Got up late today as was busy reading and got carried away!... books eh don’t you just love them!
It was a nice sunny morning and makes you feel so much better...
The morning just drifted away really...brought all Monday’s shopping in from the garage and put it all away... took a photo of the silicone ( that’s the word I couldn’t think of the other day) mould of Father Christmas I bought ... sent it to my daughter... she thought it looked brilliant... me too that’s why I bought it.. 😂
She then FaceTimed me and we had a discussion about it... she and the boys are making a Christmas cake as they did last year... I’m taking some of the Black Forest gateaux I have in the freezer left over from OH’ b’day so don’t want more cake...
‘Jelly’ this voice says... eh pardon ... Jelly?
Yes jelly... (OH’ suggestion)
oh yes says daughter the boys have it at school and J loves it!
Ok so red jelly in first then came on top so when you turn it out it will be easier to  then decorate ... make the cake first obviously ... sounds like a plan!
She told us she’d been picked at random by Ipsos Mori to do a COVID test... both throat and nose swab ..her hubbie told her if her eyes didn’t water she’d not done it properly! Rather her than me!
By this time it’s lunch time... listened to news all about new tier system... were now in tier 2.... not much difference to now then really only can meet in gardens...
Planned to go for a walk but hadn’t seen message from friend saying she was bringing shopping round .... by the time she arrived it was then too late in the a/noon to go out...
Played scrabble instead... OH win.. now he’s two ahead... low scoring game... not our best...
Carried on with sewing the stockings... leaving putting the fur on till last as it’s messy cutting it and going to need to give machine a good clean afterwards!
OH got vegs sorted for dinner... minted lamb chops nice thick chump ones cooked in the oven with onions and mushrooms.. mash pots, carrots and cabbage with gravy...
Phoned and spoke to a friend... nice to chat... said she’d found some photos of our wedding and how young we all looked... well it was in 1973!
Her daughters the jewellery maker and has put in FB she’d like anyone who has any of her jewellery to wear it tomorrow take a photo or little video and send it to her... I’ve got the lovely broach she made and my daughter has earrings I bought her ... money raised went to NHS and Refuge... about £1500 to each... I’ve also got a beautiful necklace and earrings she made me for my daughters wedding...  fun idea... back to friend and chat... thought we’d try to meet at a NT place sometime... both agreed that life was pretty grim currently, their in T2 ... her daughters in T3 lives in Bristol...
Watched tv... programme with Tom Kerridge trying to help four pubs out... started before COVID outbreak and it was interesting to see how all four had actually improved their situation during and after lockdowns! Felt for all of them such hard work ...
hoping to get back to our Tuesday coffee mornings with other three friends outside...😳😱🥶🥶well wrapped up perhaps mulled wine instead!

Roll on 2021 let’s hope vaccine is available for all soon....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 November 20 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Duvets, carrot cake and mulled wine Caroline??? Great plan I reckon.  ;)
I like the idea of everyone sending photos to the jewellery maker. What a lot of money she made! Brilliant.
I have seen a couple of the pub programmes.... I must catch up to see how the improvements have been made.
Looking forward to hearing all about Roobarb's acrylic pour.... so exciting. Could you make a video of it Roobarb?  I have seen video's on youtube. It would be good for you to have it to refer to perhaps?
Yesterday, a bright and dry day thankfully.
Went for a walk along the beach front before lunch, and around Cockington grounds with a friend in the afternoon.  It was quite chilly, but I suppose that is acceptable in November.
H was out teaching when I returned, so I had space to get on with the greetings cards I promised to make for the Morris group.  More than half the quantity sorted now, which is a weight off my mind. Procrastinating is quite wearying really!!
The whole of Devon is in level 2, despite including Teignbridge which allegedly has the lowest rate in the whole of England. The tier thing seems mad to me as we are advised not to travel, but not prevented, so people do as they please which makes it all a waste of time. At least we might manage outdoor Morris practise again, weather permitting.
Watched a documentary about the so called "Spanish" flu which apparently began in USA, Kansas.  It was spread round the world by US troops during the Great War, and medics alerted the government to the dangers, but were ignored.  When it reached UK, again medics alerted the government to the dangers, but again, were ignored.  The second wave is also thought to have started in USA.  Interestingly, Australia was the one place which was not hit by it because they took early and stringent quarantine measures.
So riddle me this.... Who on this planet, learned what to carry forward?
2nd baby blanket in basket weave is progressing.
Hope everyone has a reasonable day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 November 20 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.
Been a bit lax, but had a lot of phoning to do re blood test results ,sugar levels up a bit, cholesterol up 5 from 4 .
Etc etc—-well I admit of the fourteen medications I take ,if I am not too good indigestion wise I don’t take the Aspirin blood thinner as you must not take any indigestion remedies anywhere in time near that ,I omit the Statins too which give indigestion so hence the raise pd cholesterol
The eye eye drops do get into your mouth via the back of your nose ,despite me pressing on the inner corners of my eyes ,which is supposed to prevent that.Then the fierce indigestion starts.
Had an extra antibiotic this week too the short course has not solved the
 problem and I did not want to be ill over the weekend .so more coming today.
We are in tier 3 ,Daughter and sons trying to sort out for Christmas and where I should go,  I would very much like to see my son down in leafy Surrey ,and my daughter and grandchildren and of course Flash Harry but
the regulations/ guidelines only allow three households to mingle ,and as I am in tier 3 it means I ought not to see the son here for two weeks before I go to Suffolk!
I would  not mind being alone in the interests of everyone’s safety ..

Daughter has still only had one B12 since first lockdown in March ,so can’t be really well.
Oh dear, at the moment I can’t see a solution, and  think past my immediate
situation.
Daughter is very organised well ahead ,I used to be but nowadays it is one day at a time , especially as I am so dependant on nearest son.
Anyway ,the main decider will be what transpires at my next eye appt on
December 3rd ,it was confirmed when I enquired but things have changed again ,I ought to phone today to make sure.
I might need a repeat prescription or not as the case may be for the eye drops ,it is a taradiddle getting it transferred to Drs from Hospital ,well was last time.

Well ,let’s move on- The sun seems to be up there somewhere ,it is brighter than yesterday, the paths are dry so some washing can be hung out.
Some dead leaves need clearing up off the lawn and the patio is starting to look a bit green in the shaded areas so might treat that .
Need to change to winter curtains in bedroom ,and all that goes with that Laura Ashley material,bedspread ,ottoman cover etc.
Had two little strawberries off the Woodland one ,such intense flavour .
Some unripe ones still.
Well what a moan I have sent , but I can’t really be definite ,so much is out of my hands and I baulk at being pestered even when it is through kindness .

Saw something F.H. Might like ,they were introduced into schools for struggling readers ,a parrot  toy that repeats what a child has said .
Used to let children hear how they sound when reading , when they have really struggled a small success would be recorded and played back.
It was such a confidence booster ,and nothing  succeeds like success.
F,H,Is doing alright but hates the words he has to learn,he is a young one being 41/2 ,this might instill a bit if fun into it all .
He has had I don’t know how many presents already ,but it won’t seem like thst to him ,waterproof warm boots for woodland days at school , waterproof clothing for the same ,and they do go long walks as well.
It was expensive clothing but good quality so I wanted to get that for him but he must have a toy ,or two or four etc as well  :)
Must get busy ,mustn’t waste this weather,
Hope everyone is well. 
Cheerio ,Viktoria,

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 November 20 13:07 GMT (UK) »
A beautiful sunny day here in Devon, so wrapped up and went for my daily walk round the outskirts of the village.  it was one of those days when I met quite a few people (sometimes I don't meet anyone) and caught up with the village gossip - someone had been diagnosed with Covid, but was asymptomatic, so had rung round everyone she had been talking to over the past couple of weeks, spreading anxiety around. 

It felt like a day for getting in touch with people, so I rang my nephew, whose wife has been quite ill with Covid, brought home from school by her children, who had it, but weren't ill with it.  The family has been pestered by the Track & Trace people with numerous phone calls.  Apparently every member of the household had to be spoken to several times over.  A call then to the husband of my oldest friend who is in a care home suffering from vascular dementia.  The husband hasn't been able to see her since the first lockdown, just a call via Zoom.  Another call to a village friend who is recovering from cancer and self isolating after her treatment.  Finally a catch up chat with my elderly neighbour who is caring for her husband.

Despite that sounding rather miserable, it was in fact quite uplifting and everyone I spoke to was glad to chat and in good spirits.  Salad with cheese and oatcakes for lunch, then a spell on the computer in the afternoon and then a bit of reading with my cuppa.  Our mobile library brings round pre-ordered books which have been sanitised and are presented in labelled paper bags. 

My oven is out of use - the extractor fan for the oven and grill won't turn off - so everything has to be cooked on the top of the stove or in my old mini oven.  Waiting for a week now for the engineer to call and he's finally settled on Wednesday next.   Used the old oven to roast vegetables, but not very successful.

Had a family conference with son and daughter and decided to have a quiet Christmas Day, meeting up for a walk if weather fine.  They both live within 8 miles of us, so we do see them every week - daughter and family in the park and son when he brings my weekly shop.  They are more concerned than we are, but then we keep forgetting how old we are and presumably more vulnerable and likely to pick up the virus we are, also they are afraid that their children will bring it home from school.  Tier 2 won't make much difference to us, but mixing and travelling for 5 days could cause a spike in cases.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 November 20 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Mowsehouse:

Some research suggests that the Spanish flu originated in China:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/1/140123-spanish-flu-1918-china-origins-pandemic-science-health/

The Spanish flu did spread through Australia:
https://www.nma.gov.au/defining-moments/resources/influenza-pandemic

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 November 20 13:28 GMT (UK) »
RUSKIE. Thanks for those links.
It was aired on BBC2 so l trusted it.
Perhaps l was wrong to do so.  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 November 20 13:45 GMT (UK) »
RUSKIE. Thanks for those links.
It was aired on BBC2 so l trusted it.
Perhaps l was wrong to do so.  :'(

No, not at all - I would have trusted it too Mowsehouse.   :)
I recently heard a bit about the points you mentioned which is why I posted the the links.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 November 20 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Gillig, Where do you find oatcakes ?
I used to get them from Asda,but not shopped there for a while ,one only in reach by car from where I now live .
We used to like them rolled round Asparagus ,in an ovenproof dish and a good cheese sauce poured over,more cheese on top and in the oven .
I think even the last shop to make the famous Staffordshire Oatcakes has closed down.
Pity,very nourishing when compared with the white stuff called bread nowadays !
Viktoria,