Author Topic: oxlade of portsea  (Read 452 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
oxlade of portsea
« on: Friday 27 November 20 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm embarrassed at having once more to beg for help...I should explain that my computer went down last year and I'm trying to reconstitute work using notes and the benefits of Rootschat.

There are two references that I cannot raise, both included in a preliminary draft of a study.  They are located in the Hampshire/Portsmouth Telegraph - but my remaining references (stupidly) don't have the precise dates...

The first - from 1813 - is as follows...

This day is published, price 6d (allowed to purchasers) OXLADE'S CATALOGUE of about 3,000 volumes of second hand books...Catalogues at the place of sale 174, Queen Street, Portsea.

The second - from 1816 - is as follows...

It concerns a Thomas Hoare who was 'acquitted of the theft of 16 books from William Oxlade' in Portsea.

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone can enlarge on these references.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: oxlade of portsea
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 November 20 21:57 GMT (UK) »
25th October 1813 in the Hampshire Chronicle

15th January 1816 in the Hampshire Chronicle (you have it all)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: oxlade of portsea
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 November 20 06:05 GMT (UK) »
That's one of the dates taken care of - the 1813 entry as I remember it had only the first para...The extra info., 1816, is an absolute bonus in indicating how Oxlade's business progressed.
Many thanks.
roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.