Author Topic: Royal Field Artillery D.T.L.S., WW1  (Read 553 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Royal Field Artillery D.T.L.S., WW1
« on: Friday 27 November 20 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I can’t find anywhere what this abbreviation is for. It’s some sort of unit, as it’s in hospital records for a great-great-uncle who died.

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Field Artillery D.T.L.S., WW1
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 November 20 19:33 GMT (UK) »
This site says it is an acronym for Details (as in base details)which doesn't make it any clearer to me.
https://www.researchingww1.co.uk/ww1abbreviations

It isn't included in the list on The Long Long Trail
https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/common-british-army-acronyms-and-abbreviations-of-the-first-world-war/

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 November 20 10:29 GMT (UK) »
It is the expression used when, at the time of whatever the entry refers to the man was not assigned to a particular unit or was in a party of men away from his own unit.  Thus it could be applied in a number of different circumstances - at the base awaiting assignment - in a party kept back somewhere for a particular purpose - or similar.  Like too many other expressions it doesn't have the same meaning every time.  An example when a battery was almost overrun in the 1918 Spring Offensive, the guns made their was to a location where they met up with "the details" in this case the remainder of the men.  On a man's record however, it is the first usage which normall applies.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
If, as I think is the case, you have seen the replies to your query, then an acknowledgement would perhaps be in order?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I had glanced at it, but not taken the time to read through in detail. Thanks for the help - I’ll note it all down now.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart