Author Topic: Christian Cranch married Thomas Petherbridge 1775 in Ashburton  (Read 1501 times)

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Cranch married Thomas Petherbridge 1775 in Ashburton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 November 20 22:34 GMT (UK) »
The Petherbridge /  Cranch connection arises from Bradford where the Woodhead tree I am exploring has a marriage between John CRANCH Petherbridge from Ashburton Devon and Elizabeth in Bradford 1848 who had a daughter Elizabeth Petherbridge who married Joseph Woodhead in 1873 in Bradford.
all connected with wool trade / spinning/ mill related occupations

deebel

Ok think I have found John Cranch Pethe(r)bridge in baptisms Ashburton Page 101

1924 Jany 25th John Cranch son of Thomas (wool comber) and Mary Pethebridge of Ashburton

So I just need to make the bridge to the Cranch connection.

deebel
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 November 20 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Well his father was son of Thomas petherbridge and Christian  cranch so connection there
he married eliza leck in Bradford  4th February  1848
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Well his father was son of Thomas petherbridge and Christian  cranch so connection there
he married eliza leck in Bradford  4th February  1848

Yes thanks for that.

Is the eliza leck confirmed? I pencilled in Elizabeth Fowler but was not an accredited source.

deebel
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 08:44 GMT (UK) »
According to FREEBMD John Cranch PETHERBRIDGE married one of the following women:
Elizabeth FOWLER or Eliza LEEK or Mary FRANKALND or Mary PATCHETT. However, the GRO birth indices show that the following children were registered PETHERBRIDGE with mother's maiden name LEEK, all Bradford & N Bierley district:
1849 Mary; 1851 Ann; 1852 Eliza; 1854 Lydia; 1856 Thomas; 1858 Sarah; 1861 Harriet.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Bradford and North Brierly is West Yorks..... that's a long way from Ashburton, but we have a fishing family who went from Brixham to Hull, so it is feasible.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 10:03 GMT (UK) »
1861 census shows living in Horton Bradford, John PETHERBRIDGE born 1824 Ashburton, Devon with wife Eliza b. Leeds and 6 children born Bradford. (Baby Lydia died 1855)
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I have marriage cert inwestyorkshire for John cranch  petherbridge  to eliza lech
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 19:42 GMT (UK) »
According to FREEBMD John Cranch PETHERBRIDGE married one of the following women:
Elizabeth FOWLER or Eliza LEEK or Mary FRANKALND or Mary PATCHETT. However, the GRO birth indices show that the following children were registered PETHERBRIDGE with mother's maiden name LEEK, all Bradford & N Bierley district:
1849 Mary; 1851 Ann; 1852 Eliza; 1854 Lydia; 1856 Thomas; 1858 Sarah; 1861 Harriet.

The birth mother name is conclusive thanks. Leek. I have the 1861 and 1871 census prints for John Cranch Petherbridge family however it didnt note maiden name.

deebel

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Bradford and North Brierly is West Yorks..... that's a long way from Ashburton, but we have a fishing family who went from Brixham to Hull, so it is feasible.

The connection is the wool trade. Ashburton was a prominent wool  town and I believe North Devon sheep had particularly long wool good for high quality cloth / serge etc. Bradford Wool Exchange was the global capital of the wool trade. Lots of traffic between both places.