Author Topic: Place of birth in Tipperary  (Read 960 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Place of birth in Tipperary
« on: Saturday 28 November 20 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,

If a person was born in Tipperary , in the Townland of Shanbally, at a farm not far from the village of Burncourt in the 1840'- 50's, where would this birth have been recorded.   

I always thought the records were held at Clogheen but I think that this is now incorrect after viewing the old maps of the area.

I have been able to make copies of these and there are some very interesting features shown on the old  Townland Maps.   Hence my query.

Thanks for any input to this question.

Essnell    :)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Place of birth in Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 November 20 08:50 GMT (UK) »
It wouldn't have been recorded, as this was pre civil registration of births.

The most you could hope for is a baptismal record, so it's a question of working out what church they may have attended.  What religion were these folk?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 November 20 09:14 GMT (UK) »

Here's the townland of Shanbally near Burncourt village.
https://www.townlands.ie/tipperary/iffa-and-offa-west/shanrahan/burncourt/shanbally/

It's about 5km NW of the village of Clogheen and most probably in the Superintendent Registrar's District of Clogheen.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5568447#map=14/52.2923/-8.0376

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 November 20 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  Thank you both. Much appreciated replies. 

I was wondering if there might have been a church at Burncourt but probably not, a baptismal record is all I was hoping to find, if there had been a church there.
The maps are great as they are up to date ones.  So thank you for those.

Ok back to the drawing board.... more thinking to be done

Kind regards Essnell.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 November 20 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if there might have been a church at Burncourt but probably not.......

St. Mary's R.C. Chapel in Burncourt.
GeoHive map (1888-1913)
https://bit.ly/37d0iMJ

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 November 20 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks Kiltaglassan,  Unfortunately they are C of E. I bet it was a lovely church.

Ah well, not to worry, I just wanted to know about this newer bit of info, so nothing has changed. Thanks anyway,
 Regards Essnell

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 November 20 11:51 GMT (UK) »
More than likely Shanrahan Church of Ireland parish.

Some images of architectural drawings of the church here : https://archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org/items/show/2164

Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 November 20 12:30 GMT (UK) »
More than likely Shanrahan Church of Ireland parish.

Agree with dublin1850.

OP, have a look at the Shanrahan entry here-
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/PARISHREGISTERS.pdf

KG

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 November 20 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kiltaglassen and dublin1850

First : Thankyou!    the images of the church are something I should keep for all my family.

then that Anglican Church list is something really great .  Thanks for the link.I have not seen this before.  Question. What would have been noted in a Vestry Book.   I believe that is where marriage docs etc were signed, so a baptism might also be recorded in that?   There is one that might just have something, it covers the time frame for this baptism. 
 It looks like I would need to contact the Library.  RCB Library - Church of Ireland Archive...   where is this located please. 

Many thanks... here's hoping
Kind regards  Essnell