Author Topic: Peter Moss - three marriages or a father/son mix up  (Read 550 times)

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Moss - three marriages or a father/son mix up
« on: Sunday 29 November 20 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Not to sure how to structure this so bear with me. I've done most of the legwork but I need peoples opinions on it before I put it in the tree.

Okay, so I have a Martha Moss born around 1812 in Nantwich, Cheshire. She marries a man named Edwin Garrett in 1839, Birmingham. They have a son in 1841. But then Edwin dies in 1842. On thier marriage document her father is listed as Peter Moss, occupation: Cordwainer (shoemaker)

She gets married again in 1846 to John Viners in Birmingham. Father is again listed as Peter Moss, shoemaker.

She then appears in the 1851 & 1861 census with her Viners family. Where it lists her as being born in Nantwich, Cheshire. 1841 & 1851 listed her birth as 1816. 1861 listed as 1812.

I believe I have her death in 1870, Lapworth/Hockley Heath, Warwickshire. Which also lists her birth year as 1812.

I have found a baptism for a Martha Moss in Nantwich, Cheshire in 1811 to a Peter Moss & Mary - listed as a cordwainer.

I thought I had her siblings, all born in Nantwich, Cheshire.

Samuel - 1814
Thomas - 1815
Anne - 1817

I had found a marriage in Nantwich, Cheshire in 1805 between a Peter Moss, cordwainer & Mary Shingler.

I also found two other marraiges:

1789 - Peter Moss, cordwainer & Elizabeth Scott.
1813 - Peter Moss, cordwainer & Mary Charmers.

I believe these are Peter & Elizabeth's children, all born in Nantwich, Cheshire.

Ann - 1790
Peter - 1792
Elizabeth - 1794
Samuel - 1797
Thomas - 1799
Mary - 1802

Now at first I thought he had gotten married three times. But three of the children's names are repeated. I haven't been able to find if it's because the first ones died and they've reused the names.

Then I realised it could be that the Peter who married in 1813 is perhaps the Peter born in 1792, he would be 21.

But now I'm thinking that Samuel, Thomas & Anne aren't Marth's siblings. That there Peter Moss & Mary Chamers children. And it's solely Martha who is the child of Peter & Mary Shingler.

I do think it's a little odd they got married in 1805 but didn't have a child until 1811. It would make more sense to me if they were struggling and after a few years managed to have the one kid.

I have found a death for an Elizabeth Moss in Nantwich, Cheshire in 1804. So I think the first two marriages are Peter Moss & the 1813 one is his son. And finally I think the first Peter is 1770 to 1834.

Thoughts? Does this sound right?

I thought this post was complicated enough without adding links. So if anyone kindly takes an interest in this post, just ask and I'll give you them.

Thanks for reading.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Moss - three marriages or a father/son mix up
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 November 20 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Moss wife of Peter Moss was buried at Nantwich on 22April 1804.

Looking at the 3 signatures on the marriages I think the first two could be the same person but I think the third is possibly a different person. How about posting the snippets on the relevant page to see what others think?

There’s a Mary Moss wife of Peter Moss buried 16 Oct 1821 address Welch Row Nantwich aged 28 years.

There is also a transcript of a burial of a Mary Moss aged 47 years at Nantwich unfortunately it links to a baptism! I’ve now found this on another site and there is no mention of her being the wife of someone.

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 November 20 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Moss wife of Peter Moss was buried at Nantwich on 22April 1804.

Looking at the 3 signatures on the marriages I think the first two could be the same person but I think the third is possibly a different person. How about posting the snippets on the relevant page to see what others think?

There’s a Mary Moss wife of Peter Moss buried 16 Oct 1821 address Welch Row Nantwich aged 28 years.

There is also a transcript of a burial of a Mary Moss aged 47 years at Nantwich unfortunately it links to a baptism! I’ve now found this on another site and there is no mention of her being the wife of someone.

You know what...I have never considered comparing signatures before - silly me. Thanks for replying, it's really helped.

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 November 20 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Looking at them, none of them look that similar.

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 November 20 14:55 GMT (UK) »

I think the Mary Moss buried in 1821, wife of Peter Moss is Mary Charmes. It would make her birth 1793, a year under 1792 Peter. And I have found a baptism for a Mary Charmes in 1794 in Wybunbury, Cheshire.

The Mary Moss who dies in 1770 (47 years) could be Mary Shingler. Being 41 when Martha was born might make sense why they struggled to conceive.

But I am struggling to find a baptism for Mary Shinger. I noticed their marriage was in the presence of a Susannah Shingler, but I can't link them together.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 November 20 18:22 GMT (UK) »
The Mary Moss who died in 1817 aged 47 years doesn’t say that she was the wife of Peter Moss. The vicar seems to have been good at mentioning relationship details. I wondered if this Mary was a sister to Peter Moss the elder or to other Moss family in Nantwich.

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 November 20 19:33 GMT (UK) »
The Mary Moss who died in 1817 aged 47 years doesn’t say that she was the wife of Peter Moss. The vicar seems to have been good at mentioning relationship details. I wondered if this Mary was a sister to Peter Moss the elder or to other Moss family in Nantwich.

I think I have elder Peter's father, granted if he is 1770 to 1834. I have found a baptism for a Peter Moss in 1770 to a Peter Moss & Elizabeth. Looking around a Peter Moss married an Elizabeth Fox in 1653 and they had seven kids together from 1755 to 1773. Peter listed as a shoemaker on them.

There is also a Mary Moss baptised and born in 1869 to a Peter Moss & Martha Moss. There seems to be alot of Peter Moss' in the area.