Author Topic: What was a "translator" in 1600's Gloucestershire?  (Read 591 times)

Offline prairiegypsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What was a "translator" in 1600's Gloucestershire?
« on: Sunday 29 November 20 20:19 GMT (UK) »
I have several ancestors named Terrett who lived in Painswick, Gloucester in the 1600-1700s whose occupations were listed as "translator" in some marriage records and other documents. They do not appear to have been educated or people of means. Any ideas what a "translator" may have meant in their circumstances?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What was a "translator" in 1600's Gloucestershire?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 November 20 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Looking in the dictionary, one meaning dated 1594 is one who changes or alters, specifically a cobbler who renovates old shoes, another meaning dated 1633 is one who transfers or transports.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 November 20 23:52 GMT (UK) »
I too found reference to cobblers:-  In the shoe trade - a person who translates or remakes old shoe parts into a new shoe. i.e. a cobbler.

As Samuel was a rug maker, I wonder if he upgraded old rugs.  I say that because my mother used to claim repairs to her carpets due to red hot cinders being spat from the fire and a lady would arrive with a bagful of different coloured carpet wool and reppair the holes with her latching hook.

https://painswicklocalhistorysociety.org.uk/images/PLHS/Research_Resources/Painswick_Inventories_Poole-Twinning.pdf

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline prairiegypsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 20 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rena and GR2 for the excellent information! Gina, your link to Painswick history is so helpful. It contained info on two of my "Terretts."  :)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 20 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rena and GR2 for the excellent information! Gina, your link to Painswick history is so helpful. It contained info on two of my "Terretts."  :)

Glad you found the url useful.  I can't imagine why anyone would need five brass kettles!   Maybe somebody paid a debt with a kettle !
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke