Author Topic: Can you confirm or correct my findings on Thomas PEARSE?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can you confirm or correct my findings on Thomas PEARSE?
« on: Monday 30 November 20 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Am tracing the Pearse line back. Am onto Thomas. I am getting better at research but I wondered if you lovely people (who are far more experienced and expert than me) can confirm what I think I have so far, or even contradict it please?

NB: The Pearse and Pearce spellings seem to be a bit interchangeable on records, as it is occasionally spelled with the C.

I have the names of Thomas PEARSE and Ann from the birth of my 3GF Edmund (born 1801, Hitchin, Herts).

So I've looked for their marriage and found that Thomas PEARSE married Ann PRESSLAND/PRESLAND on 11 Jun 1787 at St Mary's Hitchin.

(I've also found baptisms of their sons George in 1791 and William in 1796 - both of which state father Thomas and mother Ann in the same church - to add concrete to this). There are probably more for the other children as well as my 3GF Edmund.

I've then found a baptism record on Hertfordshire Baptisms (Ancestry):
Thomas PEARSE Born 7 Apr 1770, baptised 30 Oct 1778. Hitchin. Father: John (labourer) mother: Elizabeth.

So I think this is very likely to be the baptism as I can't find any others which look to be so likely.

Can anyone confirm or contradict what I have done so far please? I may have made some errors which more experienced pp's will spot

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can you confirm or correct my findings on Thomas PEARSE?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 November 20 00:46 GMT (UK) »
NB: there is a marriage in 1804 in the same area of a Thomas PEARCE so I wondered about a second marriage but the record states he was a bachelor.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 November 20 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Deaths: I am bit stuck. Have been using the technique explained to me by pp's here to use GRO records to see how old someone was when they've died and I have so far ruled out the following deaths in Hitchin:

1833 = infant
1841= infant
1847 = infant
1850 = infant
1853 - died age 74 but if my research above is correct then this Thomas was 9 years too young
1860 - wife Ann - March 1860 and probate June 1860 (from FamilySearch) but my Thomas (if my birth research is correct) would have been 90 and I can't find anyone near that who died in that region at that age in 1860.

Would be grateful for help on his death. He may have lived outside Hitchin when he died of course.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 20 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Why rule out deaths between 1801 when you said Edmund was christened and 1833?
When was Thomas & Ann's first child born?
When was their last child born?

A Possible Burial:
Thomas Pearce of Bridge Street Hitchin was bur 6 June 1819, aged 57 years old (therefore born abt 1762).

He might suit a marriage dated 1787 slightly better than a Thomas Pearse born 1770.

Have you found a WILL for Thomas Pearce (or his wife Ann)?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 20 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Check out FreeREG www.freereg.org.uk

Bapt Hitchin to Thos/Ann Pearce/Pearse
Louisa 1789 buried 1791
John 1789 age 1yr 7mths (bapt together)
George 1791
Henry 1793
Amelia 1794
William 1796 buried 1796
Sarah 1797
Lydia 1799
Edmund 1801

Although I cant find a Bapt they must have had another William as he was buried 1801, son of Thomas/Ann

You can look up the exact dates on FreeREG for yourself.

But given all the Bapts I think you can be pretty sure that 1787 Marriage is correct.

Also Thomas was a Labourer on Bapts so unlikely to have left a Will.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 November 20 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 November 20 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I see on Edmunds 1842 M/C to Susannah Allard he is full age, widowed, Occp Licenced Victuallar, Father THOMAS a Labourer (deceased)

Thanks for that Neale1961.

I'm very confused now.

I'm cooking dinner so will look at that properly later :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 20 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies so far.

I made a new thread about Thomas because he was Hertfordshire based and I've seen other OPs get told off for posting in the wrong section. So not sure what to do now: do I carry on with this in the Australia thread, which seems wrong, or carry it on here??

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 20 21:51 GMT (UK) »
I had found that Edmund was the last of the children of Thomas and Ann so I thought it was reasonable to look for a death of Thomas starting the year that Edmund was born.

I can't find any that fit. The 1819 one that a pp posted is certainly possible, but I can't find a baptism in 1762 that would fit with the 57 year old Thomas dying in 1819. Not sure what to do now.

The christenings of all the children 1789-1801 seem to cement the marriage as being correct (1787).

Another tree on Ancestry has Thomas born 1765 - but with no source for this at all.

So I think we know the marriage date and all the children of Thomas and Ann; but not necessarily his baptism, or his death.