Author Topic: Can you confirm or correct my findings on Thomas PEARSE?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can you confirm or correct my findings on Thomas PEARSE?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 November 20 23:14 GMT (UK) »
To add to this, I am also wanting to find out more about the spouse of Thomas Pearse.

Ann(e) Presland / Pressland married Thomas Pearce/Pearse June 1787, Hitchin.

I think I have found her baptism:
17 Oct 1767, Therfield, Hertford.
Father: William, mother Anne.

But I have failed to find the marriage of her parents William and Anne, or anything concrete for baptisms for either of them. Would be most grateful for help to go back a generation. Have tried FreeReg, FindMyPast, FS and Ancestry but haven't found any marriage between a William Pressland and Ann. Can anyone help me pls?

Possibilities for William's baptism:

1) 3 May 1712. St Mary the Virgin Hatfield. Father Joseph, mother Mary. (source: freereg)
2) 15 Jun 1717. Sawbridgeworth, Herts. Father: Wm. Mother: Anne (source: FindMyPast)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you confirm or correct my findings on Thomas PEARSE?
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 07:05 GMT (UK) »

Have tried FreeReg, FindMyPast, FS and Ancestry ...

You said that you'd like some options or suggestions for research so thought this might be a useful place to start ...

Always check original documents where possible- 
You say that you've checked all places listed above so do you now have a copy of the "original" Parish Register marriage for Thomas Pearce and Ann in 1787?

Things to check:
Could they read/write or sign their names?
How were their names spelt in signatures?
Are they "confident" signatures?
Who were the witnesses?
Were the witnesses related to the bride or groom?

Sometimes you'll find that an actual signature might lead you in a different direction. 

Also
Just because someone was a Labourer does not mean they have no assets. They may have still left a will. Don't Assume anything.

Happy hunting

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk