Author Topic: Can find neither birth nor death record for Henry Dickson (b. 1840-1845)  (Read 2836 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Can find neither birth nor death record for Henry Dickson (b. 1840-1845)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 November 20 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I think I have found details for James, eldest son in the censuses. He married an Alice Meehan and died 1877. He shows as born in Ireland...

Also found Hugh in the censuses. He shows as born in Nitshill Renfrewshire in 1891 (which fits with the early census for him).

In Hugh's marriage to Bethia Inglis Marshall in 1857, his parents are David Dickson, an agricultural labourer (yeah!) and Elizabeth Dickson - looks like he has forgotten mother's maiden name? Doubt his death reg will be better, but you never know www.findagrave.com/memorial/150494214/hugh-dickson

James' death reg shows parents as David Dickson, labourer, and mother Mary Dickson  ::)

Just wish they would all be a little more consistent!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 November 20 22:31 GMT (UK) »
The thing is, the g/children would only have known Mary Agnes as Elizabeth was deceased before they were born.

Ahh, yes, now I'm getting them mixed up!  ;D

No fun when it's too easy!  :D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I believe there was an influx of Irish between 1841 & 1851 if I go by my own Irish ones arriving here?
Yes, that's right.

I have read some where that in the year 1801 there were fewer Catholics in the City of Glasgow than there were in the Enzie (pronounced 'ing-ie' not 'en-zee'), between Fochabers and Buckie, partly in the parish of Rathven and partly in the parish of Bellie, where the population did not adopt Protestantism and where there is still a significant Catholic population today. The Statistical Account of Rathven (1794) says of the western part of the parish of Rathven, which includes part of the Enzie, that there were 300 Presbyterians, 72 Episcopalians and 630 Roman Catholics. The corresponding account of the parish of Bellie mentions a significant number of Catholics but does not specify how many there were.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 12:02 GMT (UK) »
I haven't found a mention of Henry in jail yet...

On FindMyPast...
"Police Court. —Oa Monday before Provost Anderson Henry Dickson, engine-keeper, Knownoble. forfeited a pledge of 7s 61 for having, at the West Cross, assaulted al tbourer named Charles"
21 June 1879 - Wishaw Press - Wishaw, Lanarkshire, Scotland

I believe Berryhill Rows/Scott's Rows were the same place?

I have (in my tree) Duncan Callaghan b 1897 at 63 Scott's Rows, Berryhill, husband of my grandaunt.

Berryhill Rows can be seen on the map here on the left side above the Iron & Steel Works...

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01q38/

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Hwby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks everyone for cracking through with some of these! I'm going through and getting everything together now to start seeing how (if - I suppose one must always be cautious) it all fits in.

@Monica regarding the David Dickson 'agricultural labourer' in Henry's marriage certificate, David is in fact referred to as a miner/coal miner in Henry's application for relief and death cert. I'm beginning to wonder if I don't in fact have the wrong marriage certificate for Henry and Charlotte, though every detail other than Henry's parents (and his age, though that bounces around throughout the documents) matches.

@Rosinish - Wow, seems Henry was a bit of a lout! Thanks for finding that. I'm fairly certain Scott's Rows were at Berryhill Rows - I'm familiar with the latter, it's where a number of my direct ancestors lived, and they stayed in the immediate area until the sixties.

EDIT: Though I'm muddling how to reconcile the +/- 7 years in Henry's birth year in various sources, and his being consistently referred to as having been born in Old Monkland, rather than Ireland. Possibly two different people, but so many details match it's a strong coincidence, and so far I've not found anything that would prove they're two separate people. Did Henry just decide to reinvent himself after getting married...?

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I do think you have Henry's family here. The confusion really lies on the name of his mother being inconsistent. I think you have enough clues from his brothers that mother was Elizabeth (James called his second born daughter Elizabeth) and likely Clark. You then have father David's second marriage in 1849. This has further confused descendants who were not clear/didn't remember Elizabeth's name.

Henry and brothers were all coal miners in their early years. Hugh and Henry later became engine keepers.

Son Hugh reported his father David's death in 1862. He gave his address as Wishaw Station. This is the address that Henry gave for his marriage?

Who were the witnesses at Henry's wedding?

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 21:04 GMT (UK) »
...and his being consistently referred to as having been born in Old Monkland, rather than Ireland.

Henry shows always as born in Old Monkland from the refs I saw for him. Is there a reference to him being born in Ireland?

From the records I was, only father David and eldest brother James were showing as born in Ireland.

Monica

Offline Hwby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 21:22 GMT (UK) »
...and his being consistently referred to as having been born in Old Monkland, rather than Ireland.

Henry shows always as born in Old Monkland from the refs I saw for him. Is there a reference to him being born in Ireland?

From the records I was, only father David and eldest brother James were showing as born in Ireland.

Monica
Sorry, I meant the Nitshill, Renfrewshire in the 1851 census, not Ireland (it's been a long day!). This census also makes him a few years older than he said he was when he got married.

The witnesses at the marriage were a William More and Isabella Smith - I've not come across either of those names elsewhere on the tree

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 21:55 GMT (UK) »
The family's 1841 census entry would help so much now! I haven't been able to find it so far.

The witnesses' names are not obviously connected. Nor were the witnesses to the marriage of Hugh. James married in 1852.

Monica