Author Topic: Help if possible re: birth details of child born out of wedlock  (Read 746 times)

Offline Karena Hesford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help if possible re: birth details of child born out of wedlock
« on: Monday 30 November 20 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon

I am wondering if anyone could help or advise on where to find the correct details for a child born out of wedlock.

My Mamgu was born out of wedlock in 1932. Who we thought was her brother, Elwyn T Davies is actually her uncle, and the people she's registered as staying with are not her natural parents. From what I can maybe gather already, she was born in the union poorhouse at Llandilofawr (but i could be wrong).

Any help would be much appreciated

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help if possible re: birth details of child born out of wedlock
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 November 20 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

If you haven't already done so, then I suggest that you purchase the birth certificate which will give you the information submitted at the time.  Search FreeBMD to find the birth registration details.

GRO is the best, and cheapest - .pdf file for £7.00.  You will have to register, but it is free!

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Have you found her on the 1939 Register - I'm assuming here that she is now deceased?

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 November 20 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - wrong post
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 20 22:45 GMT (UK) »
My apologies, I think I might have got the timescale wrong for the purchase of certificates at £7.00.  You may find that you will have to pay £11.00.  :-[  But GRO is still the cheapest!  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

guest189040

« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 20 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to the forum.

Good luck in your quest.

This may help in giving an idea of the Workhouse should it be found to play a part.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/LlandiloFawr/

As others have advised obtaining a Birth Certificate is the first action, but please do not build your hopes up.  The certificate might show both parents, just the mother or maybe someone completely different from what you expect.

You should sort of find them as well in the 1939 Register but the entry may well be redacted but often if you know all the family you can make an educated guess as to who was there.

IE
My Grandmother and one Uncle are visible on the Register yet my Aunt and three other Uncles are redacted, my Father was in the Army hence not included.

Offline Karena Hesford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to the forum.

Good luck in your quest.

This may help in giving an idea of the Workhouse should it be found to play a part.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/LlandiloFawr/

As others have advised obtaining a Birth Certificate is the first action, but please do not build your hopes up.  The certificate might show both parents, just the mother or maybe someone completely different from what you expect.

You should sort of find them as well in the 1939 Register but the entry may well be redacted but often if you know all the family you can make an educated guess as to who was there.

IE
My Grandmother and one Uncle are visible on the Register yet my Aunt and three other Uncles are redacted, my Father was in the Army hence not included.

Hi.

I’ve had a look at the workhouses website, it makes interesting reading.

I’ve had a look at the 1939 census and it mentions David J Davies (in his 50s), Mary A Davies (nee Richards) in her 50s, Elwyn T Davies at 22 and Mary Eleanor Davies at 7.

It’s a mystery... we, as a family know Mary was born out of wedlock, Elwyn was her uncle and not her brother... it’s trying to connect the dots.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 00:45 GMT (UK) »
If Elwyn Thomas Davies was b 1917 Carmarthenshire - his mmn was Thomas

Possible parental marriage in 1913 - David J Davies to Mary Thomas

Because of the number of Davies/Thomas births there are a couple of possibilities for her mother but she would have been very young when she gave birth to your grandmother

Your grandmothers birth was registered Dec Qtr 1932 Carmarthen 11a  1533 when applying for her birth cert

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)