Author Topic: Father and Son in the fIRST AND SECOND WORLD WAR  (Read 577 times)

Offline marine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Father and Son in the fIRST AND SECOND WORLD WAR
« on: Monday 30 November 20 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
 I have two  relatives  who served in the first world war and the second both were from Canada
the first  World War was Henry Michael Butterfield and second was William Edward Butterfield was in the Second world War Can you help

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Father and Son in the fIRST AND SECOND WORLD WAR
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 November 20 23:36 GMT (UK) »
is this them in 1911?
at 451 Casgrain, Laurier Ward, Montreal, Quebec

Henry Butterfield, 25, born June 1885,  a day worker on the railroad, American origin, Canadian nationality
Berthe, born April 1887, French origin, Canadian nationality
Lucienne, 3, March 1908, daughter
Raoul, 2, October 1908, son
William, 6m, November 1910, son

children's origin and nationality: same as the father's. I think that is just the way the Canadian census viewed the children. I don't think it means they were born in the US.

all were Roman Catholic

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1911&op=&img&id=e002065624

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 20 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Lots of information on them on ancestry, but that may not be your family.

That Henry was born in New York State and was in Springfield, Windsor County, Vermont, in 1910. He was back there in 1930 and was the contact person on one of his son's WWII draft reg. in 1942, also in Springfield VT.

So I wouldn't say they were "from Canada."

His Lucienne and Raoul (Henry R) were born in the US after all, both are on the 1910 census in Vermont. Bertha's name seems to be Quintall or Quintill, I haven't looked at all the records.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 00:10 GMT (UK) »
A William Butterfield, son of Henry Butterfield, a day worker, and Albertine Quintal, was buried in Montreal in 1919.
The image is blurry and the writing, in French, is not the greatest. I think he died 27 July 1919 and was buried on the 29th.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 06:35 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if this is the father and son which you refer to and you got a little mixed up with which ones took part in WW1 and WW2  ?

Refreshing my memory we covered William Henry Butterfield born 1893 and who married Daisy M V Sangwell in 1922 Reading and immigrated to Winnipeg Canada.

On the other thread we discovered William passed away in 1952 Winnipeg. Daisy died in 1993.
Both buried Brook Side Cemetery.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=840705.msg7067744#msg7067744

Looking into William Henry Butterfield 1893 - his father was Henry Butterfield and mother Margaret Noynen Butterfield

On the 1901 UK Census William is under Willie Butterfield  aged 8 years.

RG13 Piece 3476; Folio 113 Page 36

Henry Butterfield   29 born 1871
Margaret Butterfield   24
Willie Butterfield   8
Louisa Butterfield   4
Catherine Butterfield   1

William Henry Butterfield was baptised 2 March 1893 Portland Street, St Titus and St Titus National Schools, Lancashire. 

On the 1911 UK census (free index) family are at 11 Bernard Street West Derby Liverpool.

RG14 Piece 22583

Henry Butterfield   40 Trimmer at sea.
Margaret Butterfield   36
William Butterfield   18 Labourer (Contractors)
Louisa Butterfield   14
Hatherine Butterfield   11
John Butterfield   9
Edward Butterfield   6
Margaret Butterfield   4
James Butterfield   1

1906 Henry Butterfield was on the Majestic  - 1911 Henry worked on the Carmania. In 1912 Henry was on the Franconia.

The baptism record for Henry Michael Butterfield - Birth Date 29 Mar 1870
Baptism Date 26 May 1870 Liverpool, St Peter, Lancashire.
Father Michael Butterfield - Mother Ann Butterfield.

Ancestry tree shows that Henry Michael Butterfield died at sea on the SS Celtic in 1913.

There are Canadian Attestation Papers for William Henry Butterfield with a birth date 22 March 1893 (slightly different) with a mother Margaret at 23Atwell Street West Derby Liverpool.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=79983

Digital File - 54 pages - can be slow to download. The file page 19 refers to having 2 brothers underage and he had been paying his mother $30 (this also fits with information on the 1911 census)

https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B1352-S015

We also discovered that William and Daisy had a son William Edward Butterfield born in 1925 Manitoba who is also buried at Brookside Cemetery and died 2012.  It is quite possible that the son was involved in World War 2

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline marine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
            The information you gave me was good it shows me I was on the right track,
  When I was Talking about  William Henry Butterfield was in the First would war in Canada (in a   Scottish regiment attach to unit in Scotland and William his son was in the second world war
                                      once again thank you so much:D :) ;D

Offline marine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 December 20 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
       Have only just found William Henry Butterfield Army Records that you sent Once again from the Bottom Of my heart thank you  :) ::) ;)