Author Topic: On the hunt for my 4x Great Grandparents in London  (Read 1911 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: On the hunt for my 4x Great Grandparents in London
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 December 20 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thought I recognised the Kitto surname. I did some research last year for someone at my local FHS. She is a great great granddaughter of the William Kitto born in 1802.

Unfortunately I had ground to a stop with William and had not pushed backwards; he has a fair gap in the records between the death of his wife Mary Ann in 1855 and his death in 1879. There must have been some money around then, because he was buried at Ford Park cemetery in Plymouth. The age on his death registration is wrong, but other things line up.

I've had a look at Charles Tink's will - ELEVEN pages! Nearly all in repetitive legalese though. When I came to the bit on the first page where it mentions five thousand pounds, I realised that he was properly rich. I wonder why William Kitto was "on the parish" with £20 a year coming in ?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 December 20 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Is William the Bill Poster the son of William born 1802 (compositor)? Elder son Charles.
In another record, the examinee claims that both of the parents of younger William were dead in 1873.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 December 20 20:23 GMT (UK) »
William Kitto was potentially baptised 25th December 1773 to William Kitto & Sarah Easton at Saltash, Cornwall.

Did the Saltash William have a sister Amelia? :-\
There is a marriage at Stoke Damerel, 6 Sep 1802
William Masey, Seaman (late?) of the Foudroyant
+
Amelia Kitto, of this Parish
By Licence
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939N-Q737-5B

Only one witness, Wm Kitto.
I don't have access to the Wm Kitto - Mary Tink marriage to see if he signed, and compare.

From the Devon Archive Catalogue
Marriage Bonds and Allegations for the year 1802
Marriage of William Masey, seaman late of the Foudroyant, bachelor to Amelia Kitto of Stoke Damerel, spinster, 6th September 1802

Witness: William Kitto, Amelia's brother, who confirmed that her father, William Kitto the elder, concented (sic) to the intended marriage.

Then a baptism at Saltash, 11 July 1803
Sarah Kitto Masey
parents William + Amey
(info from FreeReg)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 December 20 21:40 GMT (UK) »
his death in 1879. There must have been some money around then, because he was buried at Ford Park cemetery in Plymouth.

There is one indexed in 1872, none in 1879.
Age 63

Matching the Lambeth death registration mentioned.
Are we sure that one was a bookmaker and not a bootmaker? Only asking!
Age a fair match for the William Kitto in Stoke Damerel in 1871, married to Charlotte. Did they marry in 1864?
piece 2139 folio 69 page 80
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5RC-CB8

His occupation transcribed as Bookmaker on FS, but it looks more like Bootmaker to me.
There is no death for him down there, but Charlotte may have remarried in Stoke Damerel in 1878 to James Buscombe
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27X-W71J

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 December 20 23:06 GMT (UK) »

There is one indexed in 1872, none in 1879.
Age 63

My typo!

Burial was 2nd June, Section AH, No.15, Row 1 (Walled Grave)  and gives address as 19 Wellington Terrace South Lambeth.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 December 20 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Thought I recognised the Kitto surname. I did some research last year for someone at my local FHS. She is a great great granddaughter of the William Kitto born in 1802.

Unfortunately I had ground to a stop with William and had not pushed backwards; he has a fair gap in the records between the death of his wife Mary Ann in 1855 and his death in 1879. There must have been some money around then, because he was buried at Ford Park cemetery in Plymouth. The age on his death registration is wrong, but other things line up.

I've had a look at Charles Tink's will - ELEVEN pages! Nearly all in repetitive legalese though. When I came to the bit on the first page where it mentions five thousand pounds, I realised that he was properly rich. I wonder why William Kitto was "on the parish" with £20 a year coming in ?

I wonder if that research might have been for a cousin of mine, and elderly lady, who would be a great great granddaughter of William Kitto 1802.

How do you know he was buried at Ford Park Cemetery in Plymouth? The death for William Kitto 1872 was at South Lambeth, so Plymouth is a fair journey away.

Does 'on the parish' mean that he was on some kind of poor relief?

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 December 20 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Is William the Bill Poster the son of William born 1802 (compositor)? Elder son Charles.
In another record, the examinee claims that both of the parents of younger William were dead in 1873.

Hi jonw65

Sorry what record are you referring to here? Sound very interesting!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 December 20 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry what record are you referring to here?

It's a settlement record from 1873. Strand Union in Westminster.
Helen Kitto, Wife of a Bill poster
Only on ancestry, hope the link works!
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1557/images/31952_a014270-00048?ssrc=&backlabel=Return

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 December 20 23:17 GMT (UK) »
William Kitto was potentially baptised 25th December 1773 to William Kitto & Sarah Easton at Saltash, Cornwall.

Did the Saltash William have a sister Amelia? :-\
There is a marriage at Stoke Damerel, 6 Sep 1802
William Masey, Seaman (late?) of the Foudroyant
+
Amelia Kitto, of this Parish
By Licence
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939N-Q737-5B

Only one witness, Wm Kitto.
I don't have access to the Wm Kitto - Mary Tink marriage to see if he signed, and compare.

From the Devon Archive Catalogue
Marriage Bonds and Allegations for the year 1802
Marriage of William Masey, seaman late of the Foudroyant, bachelor to Amelia Kitto of Stoke Damerel, spinster, 6th September 1802

Witness: William Kitto, Amelia's brother, who confirmed that her father, William Kitto the elder, concented (sic) to the intended marriage.

Then a baptism at Saltash, 11 July 1803
Sarah Kitto Masey
parents William + Amey
(info from FreeReg)

Hi!

I'm not sure if he had a sister called Amelia. ??? There is a sister called Sarah born in 1776.

William Kitto (1802) & Mary Tink did have a daughter called Emma Amelia Kitto who died in infancy, but the name Amelia also comes from the Tink side. Charles Tink had a daughter in 1803 called Amelia. Again the William Kitto from Saltash, is only hypothetical at the moment and I imagine will be unless I can find more solid evidence but that is thin on the ground at the moment. I will definitely look into Amelia Kitto more though!

'William Kitto, Amelia's brother, who confirmed that her father, William Kitto the elder, concented (sic) to the intended marriage.' is this speculation? I can't see it written that Amelia's brother confirmed the father had consented to the marriage? I don't think there is an for the marriage of William Kitto & Mary Ann Tink unfortunately. Online anyway.

Thanks!