Author Topic: Francis McGaverin  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis McGaverin
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 09:35 GMT (UK) »
The trial in the papers
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2179651?searchTerm=“Mcgowran

As I suspected. He was executed - hanged on 18 Aug 1820. See this news repot in Trove.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2179678?searchTerm=“Mcgowran
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to note that there is no official record of a burial, at least I could not find one. Probably because it was not a church burial.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Evening Neale1961 thanks so much for your help I was thinking of trying the Newspaper Trove, I have downloaded most records from Hawkesbury web page. Francis McGauran married Sarah Sandale on the 13/9/1819 Hawkesbury New South Wales Australia his age was 33 years and Sarah 21 her birth date 1798 his 1786 according to her Father's Web page he has stated that his Estate and Effects should not be granted to Mathew McElroy and Sarah is Wife (who happens to be a sole Heiress). I can search her parents by this record now. Maryann McElroy could be Francis Daughter this is why I can't find her baptism and she has been left out of her fathers inheritance.  :-[ I should be able to find out when Francis passed away. Which makes it confusing I did a search in Ireland Census and a Francis McGauran born 1786 was shown with a family, no mention of wife only children, and his parents. :-[
Running out of room, thanks again for your help. :-[

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 December 20 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Neale1961 Just finished searching through Ancestry and found that Sarah Sandell  aged 15 married a Thomas Dodman prisoner age 42 parish of Parramatta 31/1/1818, I also searched through Wiki Web page of prisoners that were hanged and couldn't find Francis McGowran only the other two McGrath and Bell.  :-[ this family is driving me crazy. Also Maryann daughter of Sarah McElroy and Mathew had McGowran at the end of her name. :-\ Need a break again. :-[

Janet :'(

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 December 20 23:47 GMT (UK) »
In wiki, it is incorrect and he is listed as "Thomas" McGowran. This is because whoever wrote the wiki entry, did not do enough research, and took their information from one newspaper report where Francis is called "Thomas" by mistake. Newspaper reporters got things wrong, even in those days. All the correct information is available from the NSW State Archives -  This is the link.
https://search.records.nsw.gov.au/primo-explore/fulldisplay?docid=INDEX93216&context=L&vid=61SRA&lang=en_US&search_scope=Everything&adaptor=Local%20Search%20Engine&tab=default_tab&query=any,contains,francis%20mcGowran&offset=0

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 December 20 23:51 GMT (UK) »
found that Sarah Sandell  aged 15 married a Thomas Dodman prisoner age 42 parish of Parramatta 31/1/1818,

It is probable that this is a different person entirely, as that age does not agree with the age of your Sarah when she married Francis.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 December 20 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Also Maryann daughter of Sarah McElroy and Mathew had McGowran at the end of her name. :-\
Janet :'(
Since Sarah and Francis were married in 1919 it is most probable that they had a child a year later. This may have been Mary Ann, but there is no record to confirm this. Mary Ann may not have known who her real father was, or did not use his name on purpose. There would have been a great amount of family shame being connected with a convict who had been hung to death. The father who brought her up (if not her biological one) was Mathew McIlroy.

I think you are getting your self confused without reason. Do you have original documents of marriages, deaths, births, and Francis's trial, etc?
 What is all the information that these documents give? I am not on Ancestry at the moment, so I can't see what you are looking at.
I would also ignore the web site that you found relating to Mathew mcIlroy and Sarah - it is perfectly possible that not all information there is correct.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 December 20 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Neale1961, I don't know how to search in this area at all, I found a lot on Ancestry connected to my other ancestors, they show no proof with their findings, I may have to seek advice from a Researcher. :-[

Janet :-\

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 December 20 00:12 GMT (UK) »
I am happy to help, but I am not clear about what exactly you want to know.