Author Topic: Puzzled. Birth record with no first name.  (Read 984 times)

Offline Dobie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzled. Birth record with no first name.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 December 20 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.
North Dublin Union is mentioned on the FML record as event place. Would that have been place baptised? I’ve no idea if female inmates gave birth in the poor house or were send to external hospitals.
I’ve searching through records I can find online in Scotland and the rest of the UK for a marriage record.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 December 20 22:26 GMT (UK) »
'North Dublin Union' is the name of the registration district- click on link to birth (it's been posted twice on this thread) and look at top of the page. It's always best to look at the original rather than a transcription.

See here for information about North Dublin Workhouse (not poor house)-
www.workhouses.org.uk/DublinNorth/
There's no indication on the birth registration that there was any connection to Workhouse. Unfortunately hospital birth registrations don't always give full or accurate details- notice that none of the births on the page give Christian names for the babies.

One thing the registration does give is an address for the parents- 15 Patrick St., Kingstown.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 December 20 23:17 GMT (UK) »
The Rotunda were very quick about registering births. You find entire sheets with every single child an 'unknown'.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344