Author Topic: Great day in history - the first approval of use for a Covid-19 vaccine  (Read 2208 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Great day in history - the first approval of use for a Covid-19 vaccine
« on: Wednesday 02 December 20 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Great day in history - the first approval of use for a Covid-19 vaccine.

It happens to be in the United Kingdom, but hopefully other countries will approve it soon too.

How amazing. This is a monumental task. It's hard to imagine how much work so many teams of people have gone through, and yet keeping the scrutinty of the whole process to the very highest levels of safety and compliance.

The vaccine!  :)
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Great day in history - the first approval of use for a Covid-19 vaccine
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 December 20 00:13 GMT (UK) »
It's certainly a fantastic achievement and great news that it's been approved in the UK and the vaccinations will start next week. I take my hat off to all the dedicated people who have worked so hard to achieve this.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 December 20 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes,I was amazed too, it needs very specific temperatures etc I think but as you say how much work and effort it must have taken to get so far in such a short time - as research goes!
We ought to have a  Happy  Vaccine Day, to show appreciation ,well some recognition at least of those responsible.
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 December 20 07:38 GMT (UK) »
What a remarkable achievement that 3 Covid 19 vaccines have been created.
Let's hope that every country of the world can benefit. 
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 December 20 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Certainly uplifting news and being produced in such a short space of time too.. just what everyone needs at the moment... some light at the end of the tunnel for the benefit of mankind...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 December 20 10:28 GMT (UK) »
For those who are concerned about the speed with which the vaccine has been approved  - the deputy chief medical officer has just been interviewed live on This Morning. He said that when the Covid vaccines have been developed they have followed every stage of the process as is usal, the difference is that instead of reaching a stage and asking for volunteers to trial it, they already had a list of volunteers and this speeded up the process. There was a lot more to the interview, if you're interested it'll be on the ITV plus one channel (programme will start at 11, the interview was about 15 minutes in) or on ITV Player later on.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 December 20 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Discussing the vaccine being rolled out in the UK very soon, Professor Van Tam used the phrase "until we are properly confident" more than once.
Seems to me that says it all.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 December 20 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm heartily sickened by the government's Trump-like boasting about being the first country in history to get the vaccine approved.  Gavin Williamson said some particularly silly things about the EU's attitude this morning.  The important thing is that all countries get the vaccine, whether rich or poor, and in good time, otherwise the pandemic will not be controlled.   

Having said that, I'm very happy that the various companies have worked their socks off to make the vaccine and congratulate them on their efforts.  I will willingly join the queue for my jab, though they seem to be very carefully saying that it will make the effects of the virus less serious, rather than preventing it or eliminating it altogether.  There are still questions to be answered and time alone will tell how long the vaccine will be effective for and whether it will have to be rolled out regularly like the flu vaccine.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 December 20 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I thought you might be interested in this:
My husband was talking to his friend today (by phone) and the friend recalled being vaccinated for flu in 1957.
That was Asian flu, from which my husband remembers being very ill - the only one in his family to get that flu.

I looked it up and this is interesting:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/1/newsid_3086000/3086843.stm
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk