Author Topic: 1861 census lookup for Mary Ann Corkill please.  (Read 879 times)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1861 census lookup for Mary Ann Corkill please.
« on: Thursday 03 December 20 06:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm having difficulty finding Mary Ann Corkill who was christened 8 Nov 1840 Saint Luke's Baldwin Isle of Man.

Parents: William Corkill b. abt 1807 Onchan or Lezayre and Margaret nee Quirk b. abt 1809 Braddan.

In 1851 she was living with her parents and siblings at Ballakewish Braddan. William was a farmer.

On 14 May 1864 Mary Ann married Philip Cain at Braddan. Philip Cain was born 1836 Braddan and died 21 Jan 1910 at Camlork, Braddan. Mary Ann's place of residence on her marriage certificate was Ballakewish Baldwin.

Mary Ann died 28 Feb 1921 at Pleasant Cottage Strang Isle of Man.

Some of this information is repeated here:  Reply #44

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=537945.36

Margaret  :)
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census lookup for Mary Ann Corkill please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 December 20 07:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a Mary Corkill, 19. b Kirk Conchan, servant living in household at Ballaquine, Kirk Braddon.
RG09/4412/80 page 1
I've no idea of the geography of I O M, so this could be way off beam, but servants details are often only approximate.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 December 20 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Conchan is an variant spelling of Onchan.
Braddan is the correct spelling of that place name ;D

Douglas used to be divided between the parishes of Braddan and Onchan.

Ballakewish is a farm in Union Mills.

The parishes of Onchan and Braddan are next to each other.

The parishes are coloured green on the maps on these pages:
http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/parishes/bn/index.htm
http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/parishes/on/index.htm
(taken from Frances' pages :D)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 December 20 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I found some estate agent's particulars re "Ballaquine", West Baldwin - which would be in Braddan parish.

Directions:
Leave Douglas via Quarterbridge towards Peel and turn right at the Jubilee Oak towards Nobles Hospital.
Continue past the Hospital and at Strang crossroads continue straight across, turning right at Mount Rule, signposted West Baldwin.
After about 1.5 miles pass through the village and turn left (immediately opposite the bridge to East Baldwin).
Ascend the lane for approx 400 yards, where the lane will fork to the left and the property will be found along the right hand side.

6 bedrooms, over 3 floors.
PDF file is too large to post ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 December 20 22:31 GMT (UK) »
There is a Mary Corkill, 19. b Kirk Conchan, servant living in household at Ballaquine, Kirk Braddon.
RG09/4412/80 page 1
I've no idea of the geography of I O M, so this could be way off beam, but servants details are often only approximate.

Yes, Brentor boy it looks like you've found her! Using this information as a starting point, along with KGarrad's valuable input, I can now add some social and cultural history to the mix as well.

Thank you.
Margaret :)

All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 December 20 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I found some estate agent's particulars re "Ballaquine", West Baldwin - which would be in Braddan parish.

Directions:
Leave Douglas via Quarterbridge towards Peel and turn right at the Jubilee Oak towards Nobles Hospital.
Continue past the Hospital and at Strang crossroads continue straight across, turning right at Mount Rule, signposted West Baldwin.
After about 1.5 miles pass through the village and turn left (immediately opposite the bridge to East Baldwin).
Ascend the lane for approx 400 yards, where the lane will fork to the left and the property will be found along the right hand side.

6 bedrooms, over 3 floors.
PDF file is too large to post ::)

What a find KGarrad this is fantastic!  Thank you  8) I found the site and have been busy giving  my husband a virtual tour around the property where his 3rd gr. grandmother worked in 1861.

The maps and links  in your previous post plus the directions to Ballaquine are really helpful, not only for placing Mary Ann near, in distance,  to her family but also because after her marriage to Philip Cain she continued to live and raise a family in the same locale. In 1864 Philip Cain's residence was Awhallan Baldwin - he was with his parents there in the 1861 census (Awhallan 4th House). Philip  was a shoemaker in 1861 and 1864.

In 1861 Ballaquine  was owned by Robert Clague a farmer of 146 acres. It may be possible that the Claques of Ballaquine and the Corkills of Ballakewish knew each other, as when I viewed the census image Ballaquine was listed on the previous page to Bellakewish where Mary Ann's family were farming 48 acres, employing an Ag Lab. It looked like a full house though - her parents and 9 brothers and sisters!

Then I turned 2 more census pages and found Philip Cain living with his parents Philip and Catharine and younger brother Thomas (John Thomas) at Awhallan. This is great!

In gratitude

Margaret  :D

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 December 20 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Philip Cain died 21 Jan 1910 Camlork Braddan, buried 24 Jan Braddan Isle of Man.

In 1911 Mary Ann was still farming at Camlork with her youngest daughter, her grandson and 3 farm employees. Mary Ann spoke both Manx and English. Camlork was recorded as having 12 rooms. Two married sons were also farming at Camlork in 1911, living in individual cottages each with 4 rooms.

Mary Ann Cain nee Corkill died 28 Feb 1921 Pleasant Cottage Strang, buried 3 Mar 1921 Braddan

'In 1910 Isle of Man Agricultural Society, Philip Cain was awarded the Lieutenant-Governor's cup for the best kept farm in the Island'....(posthumously).....see copy of his Obituary here: thanks Frances.

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/mquart/mq08752.htm#753b

Margaret :)

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx