Author Topic: John Redman c.1797 and William Redman c. 1798 - Marriages?  (Read 465 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
John Redman c.1797 and William Redman c. 1798 - Marriages?
« on: Thursday 03 December 20 14:39 GMT (UK) »
I am totally confused in need of a fresh pair of eyes ::)  Have I gone down a wrong road? 

John and William are brothers born in Billingshurst, sons of  my Gt x 3 Grandfather Edward and Hannah Redman. Both baptised in adulthood in 1827 General Baptists Billingshurst.

A  John married Elizabeth Burchall 9 May 1831 Billingshurst, which I always though correct
Then I found a  William married Elizabeth Burchell 6 Apr 1822 West Chiltington.

Note the subtle difference in Elizabeth's surname one has e and other a probably just mis-transcription. 

Found 2 poss births for Elizabeth . 1806 Billingshurst - parents Hannah and John . 1804 Billingshurst  - parents  Henry & Elizabeth.

Have birth details for children of John and William,  and census which do show both brothers wives are Elizabeth.  But maybe they are not brothers?   
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Redman c.1797 and William Redman c. 1798 - Marriages?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 December 20 11:57 GMT (UK) »
In both marriages both couples were described as of the parish, Elizabeth a spinster and the Redman men bachelors.  Witnesses to the 1822 marriage were Jn Geal and Clement Caplen, no witnesses listed for the 1831 marriage.  Doesn't help but might prove useful in due course.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 December 20 12:22 GMT (UK) »
There are 8 Elizabeth’s on freereg in the County 1790 – 1815, including 3 at Billingshurst  below.

Thomas & Jane
Elizth BURCHALL   Baptism   05 Aug 1792   Sussex   Billingshurst : St Mary : Parish Register

Henry & Elizth
Elizabeth BURCHALL   Baptism   18 Nov 1804   Sussex   Billingshurst : St Mary : Parish Register

John & Hannah
Elizabeth BURCHALL   Baptism   25 Dec 1806   Sussex   Billingshurst : St Mary : Parish Register

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 December 20 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Both marriages on freereg.

1831 Witnesses
James CHAMPION
Zephaniah GRANFIELD

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 December 20 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Artifis and ColC.

Since posting I have discovered that William married the Elizabeth belonging to Henry and Elizabeth. Her brother Edward Burchell had a Grocers shop, she and William worked as grocers  according to census. In 1857 Kelly's William is listed as  Shopkeeper with an entry for Edward Burchall Grocers Shop.  Without being too long winded everything fits.

Regarding the 1831 marriage I think its the lady born to John and Hannah.  I discounted  the  1792 as it would make her 54 when she gave birth to a daughter.  Not impossible but my gut says no. A witness to  marriage was  Zephaniah Greenfield who is related to John's stepmother, Jane Redman, formerly Greenfield.

So my mission should I choose to accept it is to  find out about John and Hannah Burchall.

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 December 20 16:34 GMT (UK) »

So my mission should I choose to accept it is to  find out about John and Hannah Burchall.

:D