Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 3rd December  (Read 537 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 3rd December
« on: Thursday 03 December 20 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Another day I started after having only four hours sleep. I don't think I'm exerting myself enough during the day to be tired enough at night, I tend to clock off early when the nights are drawing in.
It had rained before I got up, dried up during the morning. Heavy rain was forecast in the afternoon so took the opportunity to go out late morning, the paths in the woods are getting progressively muddier. It was very cold all day with grey skies but it didn't rain till evening.

After lunch I decided to take all my art materials out of the cupboard in the kitchen and rearrange them, despite having done so very recently. I wanted to be able to get more easily to the mediums I use more often. Swapped some over with some kitchen equipment so it was in a more logical place. Spent some time photographing my painting to upload for printing of my Christmas card. It's best to do it outside, not in sunlight, not much chance of that today anyway but could have done with a brighter sky. Transferred the photos to my laptop and did some editing, haven't chosen one yet.

Did some ironing, washed the kitchen  floor and prepared tea, a sausage casserole made with a sauce mix that was more than five years out of date. It was fine. Until recently I hadn't eaten sausages for years, when I've used the pack I think it'll be some time before I buy any more although the dish was tasty.

Art class tomorrow morning, very tired tonight..... 😴

Hope it's been a decent day for others.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 3rd December
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 December 20 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Well I sat down for most of the day!
At hospital re eyes,all in another post and good news.
Son took me to our little local Tesco,despite a huge order coming on Tuesday
I got some more things today.
 Got a pretty little growing Christmas tree .
Whilst looking at them on the forecourt ,a couple came up,
as close as close could be, reaching past to point out to us( son and I)a nicely shaped one.!
Honestly , few people observe the 2m distance.
Masks worn over their mouths only.

Made soup, from odd bits and bobs.
Eye  of Newt etc!
No - two big leeks ,two fat carrots ,an onion, celery and Pearl barley, mixed herbs and veggie stock cubes.
Ten mins in pressure cooker ,hey presto!Soup.
Got the tail end of a Boule loaf ,cubed and sprinkled with cheese and under the grill on top of the soup ,a very nice lunch tomorrow ,and some for Saturday too.
Rain all day ,but not as cold as has been.
So dark these days.
21st December shortest day, might get lighter then.

Well late now , and  up early this morning so off to bed,
Goodnight everyone ,sleep well and look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 December 20 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear your having some sleepless nights... never easy the next morning to rouse yourself!
Good to hear your artworks nearly ready for having your Christmas card printed...
Well done for braving the elements for a walk... fresh air does help and a change of scenery always good! Hope you have a better night tonight...

Well it could at least have given me 24 hrs to admire my clean outside windows... no such luck it was grey, wet and miserable... ALL DAY... I heard OH up and thought he’s never going to play golf in this weather surely! He’ll be soaked before he’s even played the first hole ... no he didn’t go despite looking forward to being able to play again.... hopefully he’ll get his game on Sunday... providing his partners not still suffering from a sprained wrist!...
We watched JVT answering questions about the new vaccine... I like him, he gives straight answers and won’t let the interviewer interrupt him!...
Had a shower after breakfast then went up the lane.. ( in the car) to pick up wine friend had got for me in her Asda delivery... amazingly cheap... rollback + 25% off worked out to under a fiver a bottle for Brancott Estate Sav Blanc... had quick chat with her about our bonfire party dilemma, she was feeling as guilty and unhappy as I was....
Had game of scrabble when I returned home.... another thrashing... three games down now...had to have the lights on it was so dark ....
After lunch I carried on making cards and watched this years series on Paddington Station...
OH cooked dinner, just chilli with pasta and garlic bread... always nice to eat something cooked by someone else!...
Watched Netflix... The Crown....
Last night watched Portrait Artist... very disappointed with final winner... could tell from the beginning that person would be the winner as they spent a lot of time talking to the them and you just got that feeling! Others were better... sometimes wonder if they choose people just because they’re quirky and nothing to do with the likeness of the subject! OH says the judges are all to London centric!...
Well what a dull and dismal day... rain, rain and more rain...still upside is I’ve got plenty of cards made... going to need to start writing them soon...
nice to know I’ve not upset our friends as had numerous WhatsApps from her this afternoon as she was knee deep in making chocolates... which are to die for she’s such a clever cook... asking me I wanted any boxes... yes please!... feel happier now....
hope the weathers been better elsewhere...

Caroline

Added - glad to hear all went well Viktoria... I did read your other post... nice to get a Christmas tree... people are so unaware aren’t they...
Your soup sounds delicious... I usually make some for days like today but none in the freezer... so had scrambled eggs and cheese in toast for lunch wanted something warming... take care and glad you’re feeling better...
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 December 20 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Like Caroline I woke up to rain and it poured all day.   Our hospice retail centre is open again and I have lots of jigsaws and books to go to them.   Bagged up all the books today and will work on jigsaws tomorrow.   Over the weekend plan to sort out more stuff to go to the recycling centre - hopefully I will be able to get to both places next week. 

Whatsapp from my niece this afternoon - babies are named Macy Dottie (second name pet form of Dorothy which was name of Scott's grandmother who died the day before he and Jo got married), and Darcy Maggie (second name pet form of my mum Margaret who was always called Maggie by my dad).  Macy and Darcy doing as well as hoped for.   With all that's happening wonder how old they will be when I finally get so see them.

Dismantled finished jigsaw and started another - this is going to be a difficult one as there is a lot of snow.  Talking of snow I see that there's been a lot 'up north' with more forecast - here in Suffolk our forecast is for more of the same i.e. rain!

Grocery delivery tomorrow and more sorting out to do.   What joy!  Ironed and put up different curtains in my bedroom so another job done.

Usual evening activities and now some Rootschat before bed. 

Stay safe everyone.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 December 20 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Another re-shuffle in the kitchen Roobarb, well done, hopefully this time you have it all worked out for best access. Hope you get back to sleeping better soon.
Gosh Caroline, SO MANY hand made cards. I am full of admiration.
I like the choices of names for the twins Annette, and happy they are doing ok...  are they together in an incubator?
Nothing worth reporting going on here.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 December 20 08:51 GMT (UK) »
How thoughtful to remember grandmas in the babies’ names.
Hope all is still going well.

I have to make my mind up what I am doing and where for Christmas.
Daughter’s in Suffolk, they will share the five hours driving !daughter and son in law,and the same going back all in the same day.
Or with son and d in law at Bolton or them here or just me,which won’t bother me this year if it is the best thing .

Drs. appt at 10-30 today so had my bath and not hungry so a nice cuppa then off.
Not sure if buses are running ,I did mention it to my son but he said yesterday he  had a computer conference this morning so I did not remind him re Dr’s appt.
I might get a taxi but who has been in that enclosed space before me ?
Has it been sanitised?
Ah well it will all come right in the wash!
Well done everyone with your sorting etc.Charities’ shops will be glad to have good stuff .
My spare bedroom is full of stuff for charity, Christmas presents and things my granddaughter wants .
Well must get on ,it will probably take 30 mins of careful walking so off no later than ten O’Clock.
Cheerio ,look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 December 20 16:25 GMT (UK) »
No eye of newt at Tesco then Viktoria? They must have had a run on them.   :D :D
Hope you managed to get to your appointment safe and sound.

Caroline, good to hear that you're feeling better about the situation with your friend and the bonfire party. I whizzed past your comments about Portrait Artist as I haven't watched it yet, am intending to do so tonight.

Annette, great that the twins are doing well. No snow up north here! Hoping it stays that way....

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 December 20 19:20 GMT (UK) »
A hilarious thought came to me, well a memory really .

Sorry to hark back Belgium again, but we were friendly with an old gentleman
 and his Yorkshire wife,he had been a Policeman in Gent civil Police force.
He was retired ,and had taken up painting as a hobby,having considerable talent .
He was a joker and prankster ,not unkind.
When he retired he would take his materials to a busy tourist spot and set up shop .
Seated at his easel he would be painting away, of course people stopped to look.
The puzzlement on their faces-!
He would be seated in front of Gent castle a formidable fortress ,dark and brooding.
But on his canvas would be a twee pretty thatched cottage  with roses round  the door, a village maiden ,chickens etc.
He could speak English  , and kept saying to tourists “ You see - you have to paint exactly what you see”.
Garbed in smock and beret ,he looked the part,.
Add a thin twirly moustache and things were melting off a table ,detached
floating eyes , were floating.etc etc.

He also featured on a long roll out photograph in which he appears four times at least.
A photograph of Gent Civil Police.
At the extreme left,then along  a bit with a walrus moustache ,then a bit further with thick glasses,then the end with a curly wig peeping out from under his cap..
My baby daughter used to babble to him, he would say”I don’t know what you are saying ,but you are right”.
He did look very different each time but the long photograph would take a few minutes to complete ,he had time to don  the wig ,moustache ,etc.
Had he not been an ex Policeman he would probably have been moved on.
In Gent Feast, he has been known to direct cars up one way streets ,traffic free zones etc .
And his arm movements when signalling  traffic along!!!
He came tip mind when reading about RootsChatter  painters.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 December 20 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Oh Viktoria... I do soooo love your tales of days gone by.. please don’t apologise for any of them... you have a remarkable memory for all that fine detail that can escape many of us...
I love Belgium... our daughter spent her industrial year out from university up near the Dutch border in the town of Turnhout... she took us to Ghent a pretty place.... we visited her frequently in the year she was there...

Your policeman friend sounds a real hoot!

Annette so pleased to hear your little gt nieces are doing well and I love the names chosen for them too.... a nice thought to use middle names of grandmas...
I’m sure the time will come, hopefully soon, for you to see these little dears....

MH ... I’m on a roll with the cards so in my book keep going while the going’s good.... it’s not like I’m short of time 😂😂... I may even be ahead for next year too I’ve made so many... must be up to about 140 now! I pick a theme get all pieces cut ready piled up and make up each component on each card... it’s my training in manufacturing coming to the fore here! Plus I can get up switch the light off walk out if the room and it’s all ready to carry on next time I go there...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK