Author Topic: Wilkinson and Thurman  (Read 485 times)

Offline Peter_W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilkinson and Thurman
« on: Saturday 05 December 20 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, New to Rootschat, what a great resource. I am researching my paternal line Wilkinson from Nottingham/Wollaton and my maternal line of Thurman's from Appleby Magna, Atherstone and Darley Abbey.

I have got back to the 1730's on both lines, but am now struggling on sources, any suggestions gratefully received.

Peter_W

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilkinson and Thurman
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 December 20 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Peter -- welcome to Rootschat.

As you will know you are dependant on Parish Registers/old Wills etc for the dates you have reached.

May I suggest you give the names you have reached and what you know about them - eg marriage dates, approx baptism dates based on when they married. Probable locations of the ones you have reached.

Some eagle-eyed Rootschatter may be able to help you get further back.

(I assume you have tried the free site Family Search -- and if you belong to a subscription site - they hold parish registers for many counties).
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 December 20 19:52 GMT (UK) »

Hello,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Here are some THURMAN and various spellings in Leicestershire, some are in the right areas.

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01q3g/

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Daisy

These are at the site suggested by Pennines, who wrote to you while I went off to make coffee and forgot to I post my reply ::)
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Peter_W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 December 20 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

I guess this is where the hard work really starts. A good point Daisy regarding the alternative spellings (who wouldn't want to be related to Theophilus Thorman! what a great name). 

I am using all the usual online sites and the tree is in My Heritage which has been useful for smart matches, if a little hit and miss, I also keep a hard copy as this makes it easier for me to navigate and see the big picture.

I will repost later with more specific information. Once again thanks for your responses

Peter_W

Offline bobalong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 21 18:28 GMT (UK) »
It seems to me that you are tracing the same tree as another poster on here, Andy_T (know him?). If you search "Thurman" on this site you will see his post on William Thurman's murder on which he puts a precis of his tree.

Bob

Offline Peter_W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 February 21 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

Thanks for your post, yes I am aware of Andy_T we do share ancestors six generations back, Vaughn has also been a great help in keeping me confused!!

Regards

Peter

Offline bobalong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 February 21 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I thought so. Yes, Vaughn is the lead on our tree.

My line is from Tollerton, through Nottingham, Derby and Appleby to Wolverhampton. If you have seen strange Thurman families in Derby and Appleby they are probably mine.

I have posted a reply to Andy on his Murder Mystery posting. I am questioning the John Thurman who married in Ashby de la Zouch.

Bob

Offline Henry Barrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 March 23 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, fairly new to this site.
My name is John Thurman and I have a lot of written history of the Thurmans of Tollerton and Cotgrave if anyone is interested. 
Just need to share information.