Author Topic: My living DNA  (Read 400 times)

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My living DNA
« on: Saturday 05 December 20 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Has anyone uploaded their DNA to My Living DNA?
I put mine on there and got 200 or so matches one of whom is a second cousin. I messaged them on the chat thing but wondered if there was another way to contact them on there. I have no idea how we are related and I thought I knew all of my 2nd cousins. There are no family trees on there (unless I'm missing something) so what am I supposed to do with all the matches especially if they don't reply.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Vicky

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: My living DNA
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 December 20 09:53 GMT (UK) »
They take ages to respond, 2 weeks or so, saying we are going through difficult times, but they were slow before Covid and their slowness is due to being short staffed. I did not find any other way of contacting them. To find information relating to your 2nd cousin, it is likely you will have to pay for the upgrade, that is how they make their money. I had my DNA tested by them, but could not find links without the upgrade. Their information throughout was vague to get you involved, feed you with a little information and then there is the upgrade. In the end, I deleted my DNA results and account. Read other Living DNA threads on RootsChat, some are happy with them, some are not.

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 December 20 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Once the matches were shown, ca 230, i found the deficiencies of the sight. However, It did pick up a 3rd cousin and her son who were not on other sites.  It does at least show shared matches

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 December 20 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi l uploaded my dna a while ago- it seemed like forever until any matches came thru.
I have contacted a few people but not many reply  :'(
But that's the same with other sites.
I agree apart from the matches there isn't much more info
Good Luck with your searches
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 December 20 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies. Good to know I not missing anything really obvious.