Author Topic: Place Name on Isle of Lewis  (Read 1423 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Place Name on Isle of Lewis
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 December 20 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Some notes on Donald Murray and family here www.hebrideanconnections.com/people/54150

Census entries up to 1881 simply give birth place as Stornoway for both Donald and Henrietta.

Hopefully their death registrations will help you further if they include the right details for their parents' names. I think this is Henrietta's death on SP:

Henrietta MURRAY
Age 81
Mother's maiden name MACLEOD
088/ 5
Stornoway

And possible for Donald:

Donald MURRAY
Age 86
088/ 6
Stornoway

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 December 20 22:06 GMT (UK) »
It seems looking at the Register that mosy were living in Stornoway but when it says fisherman it gives, I presume, the place he is working? There are one or two examples on the page.
They would all be in the parish of Stornoway if it is the Stornoway parish register. I'd have expected the place stated to be where the parents lived rather than where the father worked, although the likelihood is that it would have been the same place.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 December 20 22:14 GMT (UK) »
They were in Garrybost, parish of Stornoway, in 1841: Donald, 35; Henrietta, 35; Margaret, 14; Henrietta, 12; John, 10; Murdo, 8; Roderick 4; Angus, 2; and infant, 2 weeks (who will be Ann).

Garrabost is on the Eye peninsula, east of the town of Stornoway. Are you sure there isn't another part of the place name on the next line after the hyphen?

See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=58.21896&lon=-6.23905&layers=5&b=1
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 December 20 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Garrabost is on the Eye peninsula, east of the town of Stornoway. Are you sure there isn't another part of the place name on the next line after the hyphen?

Ah, yes Forfarian, I did wonder if it was a hyphen but assumed I was wrong & the snip was the full name i.e I'd agree if it is a hyphen I'd go with Garra-bost.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 December 20 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Forfarian & Rosinish, ye you are both right. When I looked more closely at 2nd line it is Bost I had it down as both :-[

Thank you for census info Monical. I have now found them, knowing about Garrabost. from 1851- 1881.
You've all been very helpful. :)