Author Topic: What can you make of this? Clark and Fowler in Gotherington/Bishops Cleeve  (Read 460 times)

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
What can you make of this? Clark and Fowler in Gotherington/Bishops Cleeve
« on: Saturday 05 December 20 15:56 GMT (UK) »
A line approximately North West from Gloucester:
GLOUCESTER-4 miles-NORTON-3 miles-THE LEIGH-3 miles-BISHOP’S CLEEVE-4 miles-GOTHERINGTON

2-7-1778 marriage at Gloucester St Nicholas (as close as you can get to Norton without leaving Gloucester) by licence of James Clark (aged 32), widower of Parish of St Mary de Grace to Sarah Fowler aged 22 spinster of parish of Holy Trinity.

James Clark son of James and Sarah born 22nd January in Gloucester, christened 25-2-1781 St Michael Gloucester, educated at Blue Coat School of Christ's Hospital, apprenticed in the office of the Gloucester Journal, then went to Portsmouth as sub-editor of Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle. From which I assume he was educated and an accurate recorder (he recorded the times as well as the dates of his children’s births).

In the 1851 census he was living in Chepstow.

I found his commonplace book / diary in a local museum and on page page 80 he writes that in 1850 he re-visited Gotherington “the dwelling of his forefathers”, the farm now tenanted by the grandsons of his uncle, there was only 1 first cousin in the hamlet (an old bachelor).

In the 1851 Census for Gotherington there were 424 people enumerated, it was mainly an agricultural village.

Given that my James Clark was 72 in 1850 the only suitable old bachelors in 1851 are:
   Job Cresswell   Lodger   U   70   Highway Lab   Born Oxenton
   Joseph Hawker   Brother in Law   U   68   Ag Lab   Born Badgeworth
   Robert Williams   Head   U   80   Ag Lab                   Born Gotherington
Baldwin’s Farm   Richard Fowler   Head   U   64   Farmer 54 acres   Born Gotherington

This Richard Fowler’s will says int al
“to my nephew John Fowler of Gotherington his heirs and assigns –
Charged with the sum of £50 which I give to his brother Isaac Fowler of Gotherington,
to my nieces and nephews living at time of my decease:
the said John Fowler Isaac Fowler children of my brother,
Jane New daughter of my sister Mary”

This Jane New in 1862 married William, the son of my James.

The only brothers on a farm are:
Manor farm   
John Fowler, Head,39   Farmer of 287 Acres employing 5 out door Ag Labs   Born Gotherington         
Isaac    do, Brother, Widr, 33                                                                          do

The paternal Grandfather of John and Isaac was Richard Fowler, the numerous Fowler families in the village have prevented me from identifying their maternal grandfather.

If Richard Fowler was the uncle of my James then one of the parents of my James would be the sibling of this Richard, so that would be his mother Sarah Fowler. Richard has 2 siblings that I know of: Sarah baptised 6-9-1741 and Thomas baptized 23-11-1736.

And that is where I am stumped, because my Sarah Fowler was born in 1756 if she was 22 in 1778. I have not found that Sarah baptized 1741 was replaced by Sarah baptised 1756.

It all ties up so well apart from this 15 year gap.

A possibility is that John and Isaac’s maternal grandfather was also a Fowler who might have had a sibling Sarah, but I have not been able to find anything to suggest that.

Over to you
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What can you make of this? Clark and Fowler in Gotherington/Bishops Cleeve
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 December 20 16:08 GMT (UK) »
The Forest of Dean Family History Website - has transcribed many Gloucestershire marriages by Licences etc.  (free to join, just register.

One of these is a Bond and another a Licence

Record: 47765

12 June 1778

James CLARK, Widower, profession: Tinplate worker

Groom Residence: St Mary de Grace in the City of Gloucester

Sarah FOWLER, aged 22, Spinster,

Bride residence: Holy Trinity in the City of Gloucester

Marriage Allegation: Sworn before Jas BENSON to marry at St Nicholas.

second record:

No. 67705

James CLARK, profession: Tinplate worer, residence: City of Gloucester

Sarah FOWLER, Spinbster, residence: Holy Trinity in the City of Gloucester

Marriage by: Bond

He signs

witnesses: John CLARK a Pin maker of the City of gloucester

Sealed and delivered in the presence of Sal. RICKETS

event type: Marriage Bond.

The groom and John CLARK are bound in the sum of £500 to marry at Saint Nicholas in the City of Gloucester.

There is also an Elizabeth CLARK, marrying by Licence. 29 October 1777, to Ambrose WADLEY - her residence is St Mary de Grace.

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What can you make of this? Clark and Fowler in Gotherington/Bishops Cleeve
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 December 20 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Capetown, I have used the Forest site often, although I had the marriage I didn't have the licence and I think that possibly identifies a long unfound sibling's name - John the bondsman is quite likely to be his brother who was made a freeman of Gloucester in 1761 as the son of their father Moses (deceased).
Now where did the bride come from, family wise?
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks