Author Topic: 1852 Prins Hendrik ship collision at sea  (Read 1962 times)

Offline RobbityBob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1852 Prins Hendrik ship collision at sea
« on: Sunday 06 December 20 01:59 GMT (UK) »
I am researching relatives who emigrated from UK to Australia aboard the ship Prins Hendrik, which departed Liverpool September 1852 and arrived Port Phillip April 1853, captained by J Goedkoop.
I'm looking for information about an accident that took place after being several days at sea. According to a very old family story the ship struck a Russian vessel laden with salt, which sank early the following morning. The Russian crew came on board the PH and they returned to Ireland for repairs, stayed at Passage Queenstown Harbour for six weeks, then started to sea again.
I recall reading something about a collision with a salt vessel a long time ago but it wasnt relevant at the time and now it is - typical!
I've searched for information on this event in shipping news, gazettes or newspapers and I cant find anything. So I would appreciate any suggestions that the 'brains trust' can provide to help me.
Thanks in advance
Rob

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1852 Prins Hendrik ship collision at sea
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 December 20 06:34 GMT (UK) »
12 Oct 1852

Ship:      Hiima

The barque sank in the Irish Sea after colliding with Prince Hendrik ( Netherlands). The crew were rescued by Prince Hendrik. Hiima was on a voyage from Cádiz, Spain to Helsinki, Grand Duchy of Finland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shipwrecks_in_October_1852

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline RobbityBob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 December 20 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tony. Excellent detective work.
How did you solve that so quickly?

Rob

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 December 20 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Have looked at the List of Shipwrecks before and guessed that it would include the incident with the Prins Hendrik.

Also internet search for Barque Hiima gives this newspaper article:

The Yorkshire Herald and the York Herald from York, North ...
http://www.newspapers.com › newspage
... a formal investigation into the circumstances connected with the abandonment of the barque Hiima, of North Shields, in lat. 43 40 N, long. 7 59 W., on Jan. 13.

I do not subscribe to the above site, so have not read the newspaper story

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline RobbityBob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 December 20 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Tony.
I began to follow up the newspaper article you found and then noticed its from an issue dated January 29, 1883 -- so I suspect thats probably another ship of the same name.
Now I'm on the hunt to see what I can find out about the Prins Hendrik repairs - apparently six weeks at Passage or Queenstown, Cork.

Offline Rachelle63

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,

I do not have any information on the collision at sea. I am interested in the ship though as I am a descendent of Sarah Ann Woolley b.1843 who travelled on the ship with her parents. She is my gg grandmother and my gg grandfather is Ernest John Craig who's parents were William Craig and Sarah Brown who were married on 1828 and lived on 33 acres of farm land in Goree. Ernest was born on 18 Oct 1829 Londonderry North Ireland. He travelled to Australia on the Bussorah Merchant to Point Henry Geelong on 26 June 1850.

I have only just become very interested in Sarah Ann Woolley.
My information comes from The Woolley Family History from the year 1599 to 2004, written by Roy, Frances and Helen Jefferies.
Do you have a copy?
I am very new to all of this family history.
I got a feeling from your comments to Elwyn that you are missing bits??

On a completley different note, I have a son Elwyn! That we took from my Husbands side of the family.

Regards Rachelle

Offline RobbityBob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Rachelle. Ernest John Craig is my gg grandfather also (via his son James Draper Craig). Its good to find another interested relative!

Yes Elwyn has been extremely helpful - nice name for a son.  :)
He helped me with some research on the Craig family farm at Gortree, you may find this info helpful...
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=841630.0

I've done quite a bit of research on Ernest, Sarah and family. You can see some of it here...https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/55802002/family?cfpid=34001589372

I dont have a copy of the Woolley book. Do you know if it exists digitally somewhere?

It might be good for us to connect via email. If you wish to do this please send me either a PM via Rootschat or Ancestry.
Regards Rob

Offline Bennick13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 10:53 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to locate another passenger that may have been on the Prins Hendrikhisname was William Nicholson from Liverpool.  I'm having trouble locating the passenger list. Does any one know were I can find it?  Thanks

Offline RobbityBob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 September 21 07:51 BST (UK) »
Bennick13,
This link from Public Records Office Victoria contains images of the passenger list for the Prins Hendrik, departed Liverpool September 1852 and arrived Port Phillip April 1853
https://prov.vic.gov.au/archive/3402227A-F96C-11E9-AE98-FF6251ADC8F4?image=130

Regards
Rob