Author Topic: Tool Smith Heavy Duty  (Read 485 times)

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tool Smith Heavy Duty
« on: Sunday 06 December 20 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

One of my ancestors, on the 1939 register, has listed his occupation as Tool Smith, Heavy Duty.  Does anyone know what that would be.  The last I knew of him was in the 1901 census when he was a Carpenter's Assistant - I gather that a Tool Smith was a Tool Maker, its the heavy duty part that is throwing me! 

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tool Smith Heavy Duty
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 December 20 19:37 GMT (UK) »
I've just looked at a couple of random pages for industrial areas of South Yorkshire, and some people have "Heavy Worker" next to their occupation (a lot of them were miners, but I also saw it against a lorry driver). I think H.W. was the usual term, but I wonder if "Heavy Duty" might be an alternative.

If it is this, you'll probably see something similar on nearby entries to your chap, and for a variety of occupations. Being classed as a Heavy Worker entitled you to extra rations.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tool Smith Heavy Duty
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 December 20 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I've just looked at a couple of random pages for industrial areas of South Yorkshire, and some people have "Heavy Worker" next to their occupation (a lot of them were miners, but I also saw it against a lorry driver). I think H.W. was the usual term, but I wonder if "Heavy Duty" might be an alternative.

If it is this, you'll probably see something similar on nearby entries to your chap, and for a variety of occupations. Being classed as a Heavy Worker entitled you to extra rations.

Ah right, thats interesting and good to know!  Family rumour had it that John was a train driver in West Ham - however, his older brother worked as a steam engine driver in wolverHAMpton before moving to Cornwall and then back to Wales. I presumed they'd got wires crossed - I'm now wondering if he too worked alongside his brother possibly on the railways?!?  On the 1939 register, John was living on the same road in Wolverhampton, as his brother had done, some 30 years earlier!  That might be me reaching but perhaps there was a little truth in the family rumours and maybe they didn't have their wires crossed after all lol - its definitely something I can look into though, via, GWR perhaps?!? 

Thank you for your help Arthur!